460 Ford Forum banner

sugestions for 460 build for truck

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  emeraldcoupe 
#1 ·
looking for any ideas for a 460 build. engine is going in a 78 f350 and is going to be an everyday driver and tow vehicle. gears are 3.50's. what i'm mainly after is towing power and decent mileage lol. i plan on using an auto overdrive trans. the last 460 i built was about 10 years ago but was a go fast engine. thanks in advance!

#2 ·
We have a high torque build we suggest for your application. Output depends on final cam choice. 380 to 400 hp. Torque 500 pound feet +.

Short block 0 decked with KB 138 pistons for 8.5 to 1 static c/r or KB 206 pistons for 9.0 to 1 static c/r. Higher c/r will require premium for towing.
213/219 voodoo cam on a 111 lobe sep.
Budget ported small valve D3 heads decked .020". Stock rocker arms are fine for the app.
Recurved duraspark distributor.
Performer intake and performer 750 carb 1411 for better mileage (holley will make more power but be off on economy)
headers and dual exhaust with straight through mufflers and a X pipe if possible.
K&N air filter assembly. Stock aircleaner is fine if you add a snorkle from a junk aircleaner assembly.

Most of these combos will generate 285 to 300 HP at the wheels. 12 to 13 mpg is typical with a best of 13.6 mpg in an E350 van with fiberglass bubble roof on it.

:D

#4 ·
The 93 and up fuelie short blocks utilise a small dish hypereutectic piston with a taller compression height. They should only be about .015" down the hole. While this is a bunch better than the typical .035" to .040" down you will find with the later blocks and 1.750" compression height builder and trw pistons, ideally i like to shoot for .005" below to sometimes .003 or more out in a lower rpm combo.

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.