460 Ford Forum banner

Casting Number Help

23K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mp40 
#1 ·
Hello all! From the casting on the heads I see that my block is a 73,(D3VE-A2A) I can get to all but the last digit on the block casting, I think there is only one left. What I can see is, D1VE-8015-A2_. Can anyone give me some info from the block casting number? Thanks for you help!

#2 ·
I believe the D3VE-A2A is actually the number off the cylinder head and would be valid for a 72-74 429/460. Based on the information you provided, I believe the block number is probably D1VE-A2B.

This particular block is referred to by some as being in the "early" family of the 429/460 motors. Like the C8VE and C9VE blocks, it has thin rails and is internally balanced. Some D0VE blocks have the thicker rails. C8 and C9 blocks started life in 1968 and 1969, respectively. D0 block started in 1970. The suffix numbers/characters are simply modified versions of the original casting and should not be of any real concern for performance expectations.

Like all the 429/460 blocks, the D1VE is a a good start for a performance build. As the second character (digit) indicates, it started life in 1971. The suffix again is usually only related to certain engineering modifications.

BT

#3 · (Edited)
Please allow me to make some humble corrections to the above post:

The D3VE-A2A cylinder heads were used from 1973-1985. Your block is probably D1VE-6015-A2B. The D1VE blocks were utilized from 1971-1978. Your particular D1VE block has thick pan rails and standard (non-D0VE-style) main webbing.

Based on the engine/block combo and assuming they are the original combo from the factory, your engine is the basic platform as produced over a 5-year span between 1973-1978.

If you must know the exact dates of manufacture of your engine components, then you need to look at the alphanumeric casting dates and not the engineering revisions to which you are referring. That being said, indeed the engineering revisions are more telling than the casting dates.

Paul

p.s.: D0VE blocks have thin pan rails and thick main webbing.

#5 ·
Thanks guys!! Yes I should have said the D3VE-A2A casting was on the heads. Sorry! I haven't pulled the engine yet, I'm waiting to order a rebuild kit. Any good advice on a kit? The casting numbers on the block are behind the starter, as you all know, so I put a strip of paper over the casting and rubbed my dirty finger over all that I could reach. Thus the 8 vs the 6 and I couldn't reach the last digit. Here is a site of my first 460 build. http://www.customclassictrucks.com/featuredvehicles/0701cct_1955_ford_f100/index.html

I'm having a hard time finding a clean V belt set up for this build. Plenty of serpentine systems. Any help there guys? Thanks!!

#6 ·
West Oz

Hello Guys,
My first post so please go easy on me.
I am from Western Austaralia so these engines are quite exotic over here with only some F100`s released over here with the 460 fitted to them.
I am currently having a 545 stroker being built by a Performance shop over here.
The block was imported second hand to the land of OZ and has casting numbers D1VE-6015-A2B. I know this was a 460 originally, but if it was a 429 of the same year, would it have the same Casting number?
I am going to fit the engine to an XA fairmont coupe 100% street car which originally had a 351 Clevo fitted.
The licencing department requirements are less restrictive if you only increase the capacity by about 20%.
If the 429 are the same casting number and just machined differently to take the 429 Crank, are there any other ways to tell the difference between a 429 block from a 460 block externally?
I am not going to tell them the engine capacity has been increased at all.

#9 ·
Hello Guys,
My first post so please go easy on me.
I am from Western Austaralia so these engines are quite exotic over here with only some F100`s released over here with the 460 fitted to them.
I am currently having a 545 stroker being built by a Performance shop over here.
The block was imported second hand to the land of OZ and has casting numbers D1VE-6015-A2B. I know this was a 460 originally, but if it was a 429 of the same year, would it have the same Casting number?
I am going to fit the engine to an XA fairmont coupe 100% street car which originally had a 351 Clevo fitted.
The licensing department requirements are less restrictive if you only increase the capacity by about 20%.
If the 429 are the same casting number and just machined differently to take the 429 Crank, are there any other ways to tell the difference between a 429 block from a 460 block externally?
I am not going to tell them the engine capacity has been increased at all.
Yep. the casting number would be the same between the 429 and the 460.
Shame about the licensing department being a damper on your fun.

The blocks are identically machined 429/460. No worries there.

The 429 and the 460 look the same with few exceptions.

You're good to go.

#8 ·
460 Rebuild

G'day guys I need some advice on my rebuild. Block casting number is D1VE-A2B but the cylinder heads are different to what everyone is saying because there is no casting after the D leaving a space then continuing VE-A2A. It seems all pretty standard for a polution motor with a bore size of 4.68cm. I dont want to go stupid with the build but not sure what will fit and won't from some of the parts I already have;

Edelbrock Victor high rise single plain manifold
750 Double pumper Holley 4150 series
Sealed Power Hypereutectic Pistons with Moly rings 30thou
Full Felpro gasket set

Can someone suggest a mild cam that doesn't need a Hi-Stall but bigger than the RV
Decent set of cam, main and big end bearings
High Volume oil pump
Double row timimg gear.

Hope I haven't bored you all but look forward to your advice and suggestions.

#10 ·
G'day guys I need some advice on my rebuild. Block casting number is D1VE-A2B but the cylinder heads are different to what everyone is saying because there is no casting after the D leaving a space then continuing VE-A2A. It seems all pretty standard for a polution motor with a bore size of 4.68cm. I dont want to go stupid with the build but not sure what will fit and won't from some of the parts I already have;

Edelbrock Victor high rise single plain manifold
750 Double pumper Holley 4150 series
Sealed Power Hypereutectic Pistons with Moly rings 30thou
Full Felpro gasket set

Can someone suggest a mild cam that doesn't need a Hi-Stall but bigger than the RV
Decent set of cam, main and big end bearings
High Volume oil pump
Double row timing gear.

Hope I haven't bored you all but look forward to your advice and suggestions.
Welcome to the forums!

I think that your combo sounds good to me.

However, what is your intended use? Street? Strip? Your goals quarter mile wise? Do you want a car that idles roughly? A tough as sound or?

Is the lack of low end torque (necessitating low gears) OK? Or, is low end torque necessary so you don't have to use as low of gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.