460 Ford Forum banner

Harmonic Balancer Removal/Timing Cover

26K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Meep 
#1 ·
Well i broke my timing cover while doing my water pump... i feel like an ***....Luckily Mico gave me another 460 timing cover. But i cannot get the crank bolt loose... i have tried everything but my impact gun. Tried using the starter and keeping the breaker bar in one place but i was not strong enough to get the breaker bar to stay in one place. If i take my impact i am worried it is not going to have enough power to get it broken loose either.

I have a piston stop, but i have always heard to no use one to "lock" up the engine while trying to loosen something that is part of the rotating assembly. What is another way to lock up the engine so i can break this bolt loose?

And my other question is. Mico gave me a timing cover with a fuel pump place on it. My truck is EFI, so i was wondering if i can just cut a piece of steel and make a gasket for it and call that good, or if I need an EFI one.

Thanks again Mike for the timing cover.

Thanks

#2 ·
If your impact doesn't have enough power, can you rent or borrow a 3/4" impact? Or pull the starter and get a buddy to jam a big screwdriver into the teeth on the flexplate/flywheel.
I wouldn't use a piston stop for fear of breaking more stuff!
As long as the timing cover is the same as the carbed one, building a blockoff plate will work. Or buy a chrome one off e-bay and make it look real nice. :D

#3 ·
problem

You may can take your bottom pulley off if you havent already and put some longer bolts in a couple of the pulley holes and use that to put a pry bar inbetween those bolts to hold against you pulling on the crank bolt .righty tighty lefty loosy. will say a rayer for ya too ! :wink: Nick D

#4 ·
John I. said:
If your impact doesn't have enough power, can you rent or borrow a 3/4" impact? Or pull the starter and get a buddy to jam a big screwdriver into the teeth on the flexplate/flywheel.
I wouldn't use a piston stop for fear of breaking more stuff!
As long as the timing cover is the same as the carbed one, building a blockoff plate will work. Or buy a chrome one off e-bay and make it look real nice. :D
same mounting points.... just got to plug the dipstick tube and put a block off plate on it... (not fancy, this is a work/daily driver that i have never washed...)

and i think my 1/2 impact should have enugh power.... i sure hope so! ill be using PB blaster too... thanks guys

#8 ·
notch 501 said:
I dont want to come off sounding like a jerk but when i started building my motor i got a shop manual..it helped alot.....i still like hearing the questions its like a game show tring to help with the answers..... :)
I would... but i have been through my fair share of engines.... but 187K miles is on this one and makes everything harder than hell... I have built a few 4.6 modulars and a few 289/302s and am building a 351W for my mustang right now... I actually do not like shop manuals ehtier, because its easier and almost quicker to get an answer here...

But a few years ago i would never had even removed a bolt without a manual... so yes i agree. I also have two online subscriptions to online manuals (never use them).

THis is my first BBF to work on... and i like it... just wish my truck was not on 35s to make it hard to work on...

But i got the keyway out after letting it soak in PB blaster and a small hamer and screw driver...

#10 ·
lol.... I use to have the same issue!! I got tired of the plastic milk crate sliding on the smooth concrete and ended up putting some old rims on the front that we had lying around with no rubber on em. worked good.

#12 ·
mico said:
Matt,
If you needed a manual I could have loaned you one when I gave you the cover :p Are you having fun yet? No worries I have some more spare parts if you need them :lol: :)
I hate working on this truck... nothing goes right... but now all i got to do is put the oil cooler back on the radiator back in alternator on and fire it up.... a 2 hour water pump project turned into a 5 day adventure....

And Mike I really appreciate you letting me have that, saved me a big headache with mom (would have had to borrow for it if bought new)...

Hoepfully i can get my Daily Driver back up and running correctly and not have to work on it... i have owned it almost two months now, and it has not been driveable for more than 6 days at a time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.