460 Ford Forum banner

New 545 build

6K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  427 sideoiler 
#1 ·
I plan on using this in a 1977 f-100, I had a 427 sideoiler in it and sold that.
I have a pre 1979 block .030 over that I picked up form a shop, ( some one dropped it off had the work done and never came back) they told me when I get the pistons to check the clearance and if it was to tight they would hone it out a little.

I plan to run E85 @ 12.5 to 13 to 1 compression 4.5" stroke naturally aspirated. ford racing SCJB heads with a small solid roller cam.

This will be a weekend warrior maybe go to the strip a few times so I don't want to run much of a stall converter if any at all in my c6 tranny. I am looking for a weiand Stealth Intake Manifold.

I live near Gainsville FL if any one would like to offer a good machine shop .

any advice would be appreciated.

#17 ·
are custom grinds more expensive than picking one out of the catalog? the vale terrain is all I have left to get. I was thinking of going with Comp pro magnum rockers with 1.7 to 1 ratio.

when you say cut back the intake valves are you talking about the overall diameter?

#15 ·
Be careful with the E85. Don't leave it in the carb over long periods of no use, it may jell on you. It will pit the insides of the carb too. Also, change the oil more often. I hear there are less problems when used in a fuel injection system.

#19 ·
Why not run the Ford Racing roller cam? If the results I have had with their 460 crate motor cam they put their research into the roller can and its gonna work pretty damned good and to top it off the heads are already set up for that cam.

#25 ·
almost there. I will be running e85 13.5 to 1 compression, comp cam 34-710-9 .663 lift I/E and 226 duration @.05 lift I/E. looking at a 1050 carb will that be big enough? What spark plugs should I run with e85.

Attachments

#32 ·
I used E 85 Quick fuel 1050 carburetor wetlands stealth intake manifold ford motorsport super cobra jet heads 13 1/2 to 1 compression deck the Block. As for the truck I don't know exactly what it weights, it's around 4500 lbs. It has C6 transmission stock converter 3.50 gears in the rear. 28 inch tall Mickey Thompson ET street radials. Yes we run at Gainesville.

#35 ·
Thats a healthy run for that truck..congrats...not to many street vehicles can run with you...now just imagine you get a new stall and changes them rear gears....o yeah and get it to bite off the line:D.....whats your shift RPM 5200 or so?

Im trying for very low 12 in a 6000 lb 350 spinning 38's

#38 ·
The cam he linked to was a magnum solid roller 262 @ .050"

34-710-9

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1024&sb=2

Given the single pattern nature of the cam, the restrictive intake, weight etc those are great ET's.

I can say this much. A proper dual pattern cam and better intake along with some convertor and gear would shave a second off of that ET...

S

#39 ·
Yeah... I never opened the link..them specs sounds better.... but still sounds a little short on the duration for that motor vs rpm?? Am I wrong

#40 · (Edited)
Given the very strong low and mid lift flow rates on the SCJ heads with a back cut intake a
5800 rpm HP peak and a 6300 to 6500 ish rpm shift point would be typical with a single plane intake.

With the dual plane unless an open spacer is being used I would venture to say the peak is lower.

The lack of additional exhaust timing is not helping the last 1000 rpm of the power curve.

S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.