460 Ford Forum banner

High prices at Summit

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  DanE 
#1 ·
I quess I want to vent some frustration. I called Summit to obtain sparkplug wires and they wanted $74 for Bosch, while the local Autzone will sell the same wires for $60. Same thing for the Bilstein shocks I wanted for my wife's Excursion and my work van. Of course, they always say that they will match anyone's price. I don't like that. Why would I not buy from the guy that offers the better price to start with. If you are not paying attention, Summit will make your wallet lighter than it needs be. Thank you. Dan

#2 ·
Summit and Jegs are the Wal-Mart of high performance parts. Everyone assumes they have the best price without question because they are the biggest which allows them to charge more for many items. It comes down to most of us would rather sit on our *** and click on the computer than drive to the local speed shop or parts store. Unfortunately that's why there aren't many local speed shop left :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
It may be the same part number on the box but trust me it is not the same product. I worked for a company years ago that made parts for auto zone and they have their own lines and the quality is not as good. The company I worked for made ignition modules for wells and we had two lines one was the normal Wells brand stuff and the other was the auto zone line and there were huge differences in quality!

#6 ·
I agree with you in total about Auto Zone. Using Auto Zone was a poor choice for an analogy. But my point stands. Home Depot, Lowes, ect do the same thing in regards to product quality. And you have to watch yourself, especially house brands at Summit. I have delt with Summit since their beginning., but no more. With the advent of the internet, I can buy from the source or close to it. And I support our local speed shop/auto parts store when I can. We had a speed shop/auto parts store (Herks) and it got to the point where we could not buy parts for what Auto Zone sold them for. And Auto Zone got most things on consignment whereas we had to pay for our stock next billing. We had to close the doors.

#5 ·
I agree their prices have increased and the shipping to Canada is crap too, I can buy it local from MOPAC and the price is usually the same in CAD and I save the shipping.

#7 ·
i use summit for the part numbers and google shopping or ebay for the cheapest place. :D

honestly its insane the price difference from an online store to a selller on ebay.

#9 ·
Internet sales is about to take a dump when the states start all collecting sales tax on them. :mad: Seen that on news this morning:rolleyes:

#12 ·
Yeah, that sucks. But I have a question, which may or may not be a stupid one. Suppose that you would just start placing all of your orders over the phone. No longer an internet sale, and as long as you are receiving it outside of that business's state, then you would still be exempt from sales tax, right? Currently, if I am buying from an out of state business and I order over the phone or by mail, then I pay no sales tax. It doesn't seem to me like this would change, although I guess it just depends on the upcoming law's wording. Currently it looks like a loophole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.