460 Ford Forum banner

Fastest stock block 460 car?

10K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Paul Kane 
#1 ·
Just curious what kind of #'s anybody has put on the board running a stock cast iron block. Regardless of the bore/stroke or NA/boosted/NO2

#7 · (Edited)
The engine run by Erica Ortiz was a 4-bolt SCJ block, was filled solid, used a forged crankshaft, used D0OE-R SCJ heads, and was tuned by one of the most respected names in Ford racing history.

C8 block
C8 heads
Offset stroke iron stock crank
stock 2 bolt mains, stock main bolts, stock head bolts
managed low 7,s at 180 +
The engine run by Vandy was a 2-bolt with OEM main bolts and OEM head bolts, was unfilled, used OEM passenger car heads, and used an OEM cast crankshaft. The car ran low 7's regularly. When the engine was set up to make any additional power it would routinely destroy drive train parts behind it, usually the TH400. It is believed that if the TH400 were replaced with a Lenco that this 2-bolt block "cast everything" engine might have made it into the 6's.

Paul

#5 ·
I've just been a little worried my stock block won't hold up but I think I'm good for a while. I just need to stop listening to the haters that's all.

#6 ·
erica

she ran 6.60's at around 220 with a early iron block aftermarket 4 bolt caps unknown used about 4" stroke crank old howards rods iron CJ's and twin turbos on a 10 1/2 tire in my old gateway built tbird which they had upgraded to much more current safety spec's after i sold it to them , it was rebodied to new style mustang but has to my knowledge has sat since , hope this helps

#8 ·
Originally Posted by Vandy
C8 block
C8 heads
Offset stroke iron stock crank
stock 2 bolt mains, stock main bolts, stock head bolts
managed low 7,s at 180 +

The engine run by Vandy was a 2-bolt with OEM main bolts and OEM head bolts, was unfilled, used OEM passenger car heads, and used an OEM cast crankshaft. The car ran low 7's regularly. When the engine was set up to make any additional power it would routinely destroy drive train parts behind it, usually the TH400. It is believed that if the TH400 were replaced with a Lenco that this 2-bolt block "cast everything" engine might have made it into the 6's.

Was that on Fuel or Alcohol?

#14 ·
With stock block they did 1731 hp with 7300 rpm, not to mention with stock crank and with boxed stock connection rods...

Now would you box the stock rods and give the engine +7000 rpm and 40 psi of boost??? Engine was made for modified minipuller, at now a days the guy is running a460 block with some serious internals instead of stock OEM. Geez, I would say.

#15 ·
With stock block they did 1731 hp with 7300 rpm, not to mention with stock crank and with boxed stock connection rods...Now would you box the stock rods and give the engine +7000 rpm and 40 psi of boost???
That engine used aftermarket H-beam connecting rods, not modified OEM stock rods.

The engine consisted of a D9TE standard-webbed truck block with CAT 4-bolt main cap conversion, water jackets filled solid, o-ringed deck, head studs, D2VE open chamber heads with CJ-sized valves, pedestal rocker arm valve train, 4U cast 429 crankshaft, L2366 429 pistons, modified OEM oil pan, high volume oil pump, and H-beam rods.

It's a great accomplishment which very much underscores the capabilities of the OEM parts when prepped well, tuned well, and utilized in the specific applications where this type of power handling is indeed possible.

Paul

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.