460 Ford Forum banner

1986 coupe build.

20K views 70 replies 15 participants last post by  bajarick 
#1 ·
I just thought I would share with you all my current build. 1986 mustang that is mini tubbed tied frame and a 10 point cage. My son and I have been getting it stripped down and are at the point of rebuilding now. More detail photo's to come but here is what we have so far. GOAL 9.50s.. Here in Maryland one of our tracks runs a NINE inch NIGHTMARE class 1/8 mile (.400 pro-tree 6.50 index 9 inch slick with mufflers). Will swap slicks back to 10.5w that are currently on it and run brackets when the N I N class is not running..
Thanks for looking and will get more detail pictures as we go.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Finally finshed tacking

FINALLY.. The Bird is on the ground and roller again. Still need to finish welding everything. Here is :).. No springs on the front for now just to see if how far it would compress.. ride height will be about 3 inches higher..

Attachments

#30 ·
Awesome build, love it. Your shop is like a surgical ward, mine, not so much.

MME? That Marvin right? Read a lot of great articles about his builds if so. He is a clean freak and deamon on dressing blocks, pumps, etc.

#33 ·
MME is MCKEOWN MOTORSPORT ENGINEERING, INC. Mark builds all my motors here in Maryland..
Thanks, but i just googled MME, YIPES. You used him a lot?

#32 ·
Almost complete for the year

Sorry for the intermission but it has been busy.. Have torn car down a little more to get it the way I want it..
Header are now facing out in front of the tires.
New nose has been repaired and 4 eye buckets closed off
all lexan window have cut to make them flush mount
new hood is almost done along with the new trunk lid (pop rivet gun broke) need to run out an get a new one so it can be fihished.
Here are a few pics.

Attachments

#34 ·
better pictures

Gydyup why you say YIPES.. MME has done we very well with all my builds.
Trunk and hood in place with the new nose with the 4 eye bucket closed off.
Lexan windows installed and new carbon fiber dash wrap installed.

Attachments

#39 ·
Gydyup why you say YIPES.. MME has done we very well with all my builds.
Trunk and hood in place with the new nose with the 4 eye bucket closed off.
Lexan windows installed and new carbon fiber dash wrap installed.
I googled him, and there was a lot of un happy stuff on him.

#35 ·
Engine running Video

Started up after Oil pressure issues. Hope to have them all resolved.. Pickup was about 1/8" from pan now 3/8" from pan and happy with 65psi on startup and drops to 45 at 150* but now when I touch the throttle pressure jumps up to 65+ :).. Now that the headers our out the front and have removed the vortex cone mufflers this thing is loud.. Should have it buttoned up for this weekend to race..
Having issue uploading video>>>will try again later sorry

#40 ·
Well gydyup there are 2 sides to everystory and I question mark face to face about the bad rap and he explained every one of there stories.. Any way I have posted a best ET to date 5.86 at 118.6 MPH in the 1/8 in a 2900# race ready car, after suspension adjustments. I was hitting the tire way to hard on the launch so move the instant center out to 46" and 11.3" off the ground. My best time was with a fuel pump issue. New mechanical fuel pump from Rons racing and hope to be out again on the 21st of June. My son is home from college and is turning 19 and he will give it a go off of a trans brake..

Note previous IC was 31" and 10.8 off the ground and it would crush the side walls by atleast half.. tried playing with the double adjustables AFCO big guns and just was on the edge to much..

Thanks guys for all the help

#43 ·
Well gydyup there are 2 sides to everystory and I question mark face to face about the bad rap and he explained every one of there stories..
Thanks guys for all the help
Oh yeah

Thats why I asked, you read stuff on the net, and if you dont ask a first hander then its just that. Great stuff, keep it up.

I have found some of then net stuff is a good indicator, if nothing else to ask more questions, e.g. my experience with MPG. Not good. Others seem to love him.

#44 ·
New Best for the COUPE

Finally got the 60' under control with a best of 1.26 running a 5.859 at 116MPH lifting in the box also bumped shift point up from 6700 to 7000rpm. I was also able to roll the car across the scale at MIR the car now weighs 2800 with me in it ready to race. To get the 60' I had to tighten the rebound on my shocks from 26 to 22 from stiff and the compression seems to be doing well at 10 from stiff. Next time out will be at VMP Virginia for the Raiders series the first weekend in August. I have now finally bumped timing up to 36* from 32* for next time out at VMP and I am hoping for 1.25 and high 5.70s at 117+
Thanks for looking.

Chris

#45 ·
Finally got the 60' under control with a best of 1.26 running a 5.859 at 116MPH lifting in the box also bumped shift point up from 6700 to 7000rpm. I was also able to roll the car across the scale at MIR the car now weighs 2800 with me in it ready to race. To get the 60' I had to tighten the rebound on my shocks from 26 to 22 from stiff and the compression seems to be doing well at 10 from stiff. Next time out will be at VMP Virginia for the Raiders series the first weekend in August. I have now finally bumped timing up to 36* from 32* for next time out at VMP and I am hoping for 1.25 and high 5.70s at 117+
Thanks for looking.

Chris
Cool, hope to see you there. I get up there a lot to watch now, hope to be going down the track next summer.

#47 ·
Mustang suspension working VIDEO

Here you go guys. New best 60' 1.259 wheels up and get it done in a hurry!! Little recap and Thanks to below
MCKEOWN MOTORSPORT ENGINEERING
Ultimate Converter Concepts
HFR Fabrication chassis setup 4 corner scale
AutoFab race cars components Suspension
Power glide built by my brother
Big thanks to all of you for helping get this car built.
My 86 coupe now weighs in at 2800# race ready with driver after all new lexan windows and trimming extra metal off front and rear. best pass to date it 5.85 at 118MPH in the 1/8 I will get 1/4 mile numbers in October at the Maryland international raceway FORD fever race.
Enjoy the Video
http://youtu.be/-TbatILzxIE

#56 ·
Here you go guys. New best 60' 1.259 wheels up and get it done in a hurry!! Little recap and Thanks to below
MCKEOWN MOTORSPORT ENGINEERING
Ultimate Converter Concepts
HFR Fabrication chassis setup 4 corner scale
AutoFab race cars components Suspension
Power glide built by my brother
Big thanks to all of you for helping get this car built.
My 86 coupe now weighs in at 2800# race ready with driver after all new lexan windows and trimming extra metal off front and rear. best pass to date it 5.85 at 118MPH in the 1/8 I will get 1/4 mile numbers in October at the Maryland international raceway FORD fever race.
Enjoy the Video
http://youtu.be/-TbatILzxIE
Hey ToPher!

You got some serious equipment you racin' with :eek:

Did you make it to the FORD show at MIR last weekend?

I had some crap come up and couldn't make it :(

Rick

#51 ·
New Best 60' and 1/8th mile ET

Wish I had a video of my Sunday morning time run for the Autofab ET Raiders challenge at MIR drag way here in Maryland. Short story long 1.243 60' 5.836 carrying the front wheel almost to the 60' cone.
Have ordered a Team Z wing for 1/4 mile racing in October hope to see some 9.20's but only time will tell.
Thanks
Chris

#52 ·
Quater mile pass FINALLY!!

I have installed a wing on the coupe and made very stable quarter mile passes today. Fan a best of 9.274 at 145MPH+. But unfortunately think my tires are now shot. Guess I can't complain I have about 100-110 pass on them now and side walls are looking shot with wrinkle marks from the tread to the rim. So off to Hoosier for new skins want to change from 29.5 x 10.5 D06 compound to 29 x 12 D06 and may run tubes to get a stiffer side wall.. Any one have opinions about tires small tire fox and or running tubes??
Thanks

#53 ·
Very nice ET! It sounds like you have a very nice combo there! Especially with the worn tires.

#54 ·
Nice pass ...... I like my 275/60 radial's that's just cause I don't like the wobble on the big end with slicks. If you go to a tube type slick put some baby powder in there with the tube for friction.

#55 ·
Thanks for everything.

I have just installed my new stiff sidewall Hoosier slicks (29 x 10.5w) and using a super stocker trick. I have put HIGH TACK sealent on the beads so I don't have to put screws in my new wheels.. Also going to do some messurement for IC and AntiSquat to see were it is currently and may make a few changes. The car seems to still be a little inconsistant in the 60' but it may have been the tires sidewalls going away I guess 100+ pass on a 10.5 is not bad.
Thanks again.. read about my next build 1989 Thunderbird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.