Cranckcase Evacuation ? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > General Tech

General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 PM

ernie First On Race Day
Default Cranckcase Evacuation ?

Hi all, I asked this question a few weeks ago and didn't really get any kind of answer , so I'll ask again and see what happens ! For the street , is a cranckase evac. pump worth the expense ? Is a stroker motor , with all the extra pumping , building enough pressure to warrant this system ? I'm considering a 4.300" stroke in a DOVE A block and am considering an evac. pump for the street , has anyone taken this path yet , and if so how did it work out ? As always , I welcome any and all comments ! Thanks , Ernie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 02:44 PM

beatdown First On Race Day

I wouldn't see why it'd be necessary. I'm building a street/strip 521. I'm also curious on this tho..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-24-2013, 07:50 AM

mdross1 First On Race Day

Recently finished a 427" sbc SB2 engine for a motorcycle because of wanting to run valve covers without breathers have no choice. During the build and asking around most that run strokers use normal crankcase evacuation unless there is a problem. I would suggest giving it a try using the engines stock pcv if the motor seems to weep oil that cannot be stopped then a vacuum pump would be the way to go. Good Luck
Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 AM

ernie First On Race Day

Thanks for the response, I guess the racers wait to see a problem and then install an evac. system if needed . I guess I'll see what happens , go from there . Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 AM

ag460torino Bleeding Blue
Default evac

It was recommended to me to do it but I'm running a blower and the pressure was blowing the breathers out. I opted to weld thread bungs in my covers and run braided line down to my header evac system. IF I still have issues I will go to a pump. I would say, if you are not drag strip ONLY not to worry unless you see the need. I have run regular breathers for years and NEVER blew one out till now. As for freeing up HP...... you would have to weigh out the need versus cost and the fact that every time a belt is added to the crank it takes HP away, even to make more. Plus added maintenance and belt alignment, etc......

Hope what ever you decide works for you,

Auggie
Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Gydyup First On Race Day

Ive run crankcase evacs to my headers for years, through mufflers, on the street as well.

Never had a problem, made all the leaks and blowing caps go away.

If you go that way, braided is fine, but dont buy the moroso kit or Jegs. Got to Napa and get a couple of EGR valves for a Ford Pinto, one 4 inch X 1/2 pipe nipple from home depot, cut the nipple in half at a 45 and your done.

I do weld an extra backer on my collector the nipple goes through just for good measure. Ilooked at vacuum pumps, crank an electric, cant justify the cost against the effectiveness of the header evacs.

They will tell you it smokes, especially running through mufflers. Mine never has, anymore than any other car when your running the piss out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.