Mr.Scharf's 1993 Foxbody Notch - Page 31 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Nice, nice, nice! How's the finish holding up on the intake and headers?
Rob
The finish is just fine. Still brand new because neither the headers or intake have seen any heat yet. I'm anticipating that it stays like new as well. Everything I've heard about NitroPlate says the headers should keep their plating nice and shiney for a long time. I'll let you know for sure though. My headers won't matter as much as yours though. Mine are pretty much hidden down in the car. You with the dragster will need them to keep their finish because they exposed and so visible. I'll keep you posted.

I'm hoping that RMCompRandy gets my pistons back to me this week. Then I can put the motor back together next weekend and get it in the car. With any luck the first startup will be the week after that. I'm really anxious to hear the new iteration of my motor!! I'm sure the neighbors can wait though!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

If you have cool neighbors they will follow the scent of racing gas to your barn and come cheer you on!

The first time we fired the 528 had neighbors asking me for a month what the hell I had in that thing.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM

Lincoln1 First On Race Day

Look killer Chris.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblok86ranger View Post
If you have cool neighbors they will follow the scent of racing gas to your barn and come cheer you on!

The first time we fired the 528 had neighbors asking me for a month what the hell I had in that thing.
I have a single lady neighbor that is a real b!tch. She hates everything. She complained once because I was cutting grass. I mean come on... It was the middle of a Saturday in July and I have 3 dang acres of grass. It isn't going to cut itself. I'm thinking I know why she is single. What a peach... She will get over it. Or not. But who cares. I'm doing it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln1 View Post
Look killer Chris.
Thanks Man!! I think so to. I'm starting to get anxious.. I'm ready to hear it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 PM

RMCompRandy got my pistons shipped out today. They will be here next week and I'll put the motor back together next weekend. The pistons had to be fly cut on top of the old valve reliefs. He was not able to turn the pistons around and cut the other side. I have a set of lightweight J&E pistons that had extra material under the original valve relief. The crown on the opposite side was too thin to cut. No big deal. This should work just fine.

I have also bought for the reassembley:

1) A stage 1 oil pump from Paul Kane. That will be here next week.

2) A new Cloyes Billet double roller timing chain from Summit Racing

3) Full Gasket set from Lem Evans.

I'll be working on the cars electrical system this weekend. I still have lots to do before she will roll on her own. But the list is starting to get shorter and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM

Default Pistons Are Back

My newly flycut pistons arrived at my office today. I'm going to get started reassembling the engine tonight. With any luck I'll have it back in the car by the end of the weekend.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Ewwwww....shiney!!! lol
Rob
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Dragz79 Driving a Ford

Looking good!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Default Short Block Built

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to this weekend. I got sucked into work on both Saturday and Sunday. I did get the short block built however. I got my pistions back from RMCompRandy after being flycut so I was ready for resassembly. I knocked down the edge on the top of the pistoins where my exhaust valves had come in contact with the pistons on my old combination. It was light contact but it did put a bit of a sharp edge on the top of the piston so I got rid of that. I then cleanded the pistons and prepared for reassembly. The pistions went back together with the rods perfectly and the Spirolocks weren't that bad to put back in. My combination used 2 spirolocks per side. 4 altogether per piston. The motor went back together perfectly and then rotated over just fine. Buying the ARP ring compressor for the 4.390 bore was well worth the money. I had complained about the price earlier but after using it, it sure made reassembly MUCH easier. I had been using one of the cheap spring loaded 'crank to compress' ring compressors from Autozone. The ARP unit blew it away. MUCH EASIER and well worth the 56 bucks in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM

A70Maverick Driving a Ford

Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Devildog Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog

Wish I was there to hear it. You going to run it open headers at first? I have some hella funny stories from doing that in the past. Now I like to quiet things down with mufflers so I can hear what is going on with the motor at first........good luck!.......D
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 AM

Default Slow Progress...

Well I wanted to get the motor back in the car this weekend. I ran into problems again with my Moroso oil pan. It seems that it was not made for a stroker motor. I now have that pan for sale on the auction block and I'll have to order a new pan that is made for a stroker motor. What a hassle that oil pan has been.

On the bright side I did get the 12 pt ARP head stud kit in this week. I ran a tap through all of the head stud bolt holes and cleanded them out real good. Both with the tap and then compressed air. I then installed the head studs with a big of permatex on the stud threads in the block. The heads then went on and bolted down real nice. This evening I'm going to take the oil pan back off ( I have it bolted on so I could keep the atmosphere out of the block for now) put the lifters in and measure the pushrod length so I can get those ordered. I'll post a picture of the progress this evening.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Chris, just a suggestion. When I recently put my 472" back together I bought a pan stud and nut kit and a one piece pan gasket. What a difference it all makes for going together.
Rob
Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Chris, just a suggestion. When I recently put my 472" back together I bought a pan stud and nut kit and a one piece pan gasket. What a difference it all makes for going together.
Rob
I got all of that too Rob. I really like the one piece oil pan gaskets. Very easy to do and it almost guarantees no leaks. I also have a ARP main stud with the smaller threads on top to bolt the pickup to. All good suggestions for anybody else doing this.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Default Checking Pushrod Length

Measuring for correct pushrod length last night was a fiasco. Below are the results. Lem Evans now has 4 individual chromemoly 3/8 pushrods coming to me so I can measure for correct pushrod length. The sizes that I am getting are 9.1,9.2,9.3 & 9.4 inches.

This was the result of 800#'s of open seat pressure. OOppss... Live and learn.

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 02-19-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.