4300 Carb Replacement Advice Needed - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 AM

DanE First On Race Day

I see this carb engineered to be the best of the "bowl" carbs, and there were some decent ones. The "Thermoquad" for example. On a dual quad intake, you would have 1250 cfm for your max power and you would cruise around on the 4 small primarys. Easy to tune and you do not have to pull the carbs off the intake to change jeting or run the carbs sideways. No more having to drain float bowls to change jeting. I'm talking a high performance street engine. I'm willing to try them. And there are a lot of 460's running around with 600's on them. my motor home for instance. And it is going to get a 625 Demon and see if will return an increase in HP and fuel economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 AM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429TORQ View Post
Just looked at the carby, it looks like it will only fit the 68-73 bbf intake with a 1/2" or 1" open spacer(or the 3v spacer Randy mentioned). I had no idea that it had that "married" style secondary plate. If his '74 460 has the "big" ford spreadbore pattern(4350 style) I don't know what the deal will be.
Just looked up the carb applications. What I can see 1974 is 4300. In 1975 everything is 4350 except some of the "early" 1975 trucks having the 4300. Guess the OP best verify he has a 4300.

Steve
Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM

The Big One First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68xr7cat View Post
Just looked up the carb applications. What I can see 1974 is 4300. In 1975 everything is 4350 except some of the "early" 1975 trucks having the 4300. Guess the OP best verify he has a 4300.

Steve
Yes, verified as a 4300, not the 4350.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big One View Post
Thanks Randy. So if I were to consider the route you've suggested, would this barrel type plate be custom made or do these already exist?

Thanks everyone, this is all great information and very helpful! Please keep your opinions and advice coming.
They exist OR making one is pretty easy ... also Holley made a zinc spacer especially for doing this very thing.

I have a few, send an IM if you are interested.

I don't know of anything more production than using an 80's FORD OEM Holley carburetor.

I don't know about Motorcraft carb numbers as I went by your description of a 2" spread secondary bore carb. If it is NOT this type carb you won't need any special adapter for anther brand carb with a 1 9/16" throttle plate or smaller.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting

Last edited by rmcomprandy; 01-28-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

The 4300 is the one you can bolt a 4150 holley in its place. Don't think he would need any adapters or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.