472 sputters at WOT?? Help! - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 AM

DanE First On Race Day

My uncle's 73 454 SS came from the factory running 240*. While on a trip running around Florda we desmoged it,recurved the distributor. jeted the carb, and installed a 180* thermostat. It ran noticeably better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanE View Post
My uncle's 73 454 SS came from the factory running 240*. While on a trip running around Florda we desmoged it,recurved the distributor. jeted the carb, and installed a 180* thermostat. It ran noticeably better.
Back in the early 70's engine temps were raised in order to bring down emissions (unburned hydrocarbons) because of not-so-efficent combustion chamber designs that were left over from years before.
Rob
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92stango View Post
thanks rob for the advice i will start with the jets you and A70 recomended as well as the advance in timing ill check the power valve as well! and big block ranger i have noticed the car running hot, with a huge 3 core alum rad and 160 tstat , markviii fan its touching 210+ cruising in 80 degree temps, not enough advance will cause it to run hott?
I ran my 86 gt with factory for cylinder radiator and cheepie electric fan and factory water pump in 110 weather and sitting in a traffic jam for over an hour never went over 195. So yes timing plays a very big role in engine temps.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM

92stango First On Race Day

i picked up a holley jet kit today and hopefully ill get the carb back on the car tonight and make all the recomended adjustments! ill let you guys know how she runs!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM

CarsByCarl Driving a Ford

Quote:
i have a msd billit dizzy and 6Al box, base is set at 0 and it locks out about 20. as i rev up to 4k. also it has silver advance springs
Are you still only running 20 degrees total timing? It's never going to run right till you get the timing right. Set it at 30 total, with 76/84 jets, 4.5 primary power valve, plugged secondary power valve, and go from there.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
Are you still only running 20 degrees total timing? It's never going to run right till you get the timing right. Set it at 30 total, with 76/84 jets, 4.5 primary power valve, plugged secondary power valve, and go from there.
i havent adjusted it yet, i pulled the carb to change the jets and i will have it back on tonight and then i will adjust the timing as recomended. once i get it running ill take it out and she how she responds, and check the plugs as mentioned before , ill let you guys know how it goes!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM

BBFmavrick Bleeding Blue

Before you even attempt to set timing.make sure you find TDC with that adjustable timing pointer.If you don't,you will never know the correct timing. If you don't know how to find correct TDC,just ask and we will guide you through it. The correct timing will wake it up for sure.

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM

ok everyone , i installed 78s and 84s set base timing at 12 and total was right around 30-31, it runs alot better and cooler to mention but im still having some sputter and i take my foot out of it beause right around the same time the secondaries open and it starts to sputter my oil pressure drop almost to zero! and it is consistant with rpm starts around 3200 and just drops. because of this i havent really been able to see how the motor runs above 3500- 4k. i am using a autometer electric gauge and sender on the back of the block 10-40 royal purple 6qts in a FMS swap pan. new oil pump w/ arp drive. the gauge is smooth and brand new when crusing under 3200 its ok, but even slowly depressing the accel pedal past that i see oil press flutter and drop???? any ideas??

oil pressure reads 75 cold , 30 warmed up and will raise up to 60-75 when accel up to 3200 and start to fall above that or drop to zero with a WOT

Last edited by 92stango; 01-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Quote:
ok everyone , i installed 78s and 84s set base timing at 12 and total was right around 30-31, it runs alot better and cooler to mention but im still having some sputter and i take my foot out of it beause right around the same time the secondaries open and it starts to sputter my oil pressure drop almost to zero! and it is consistant with rpm starts around 3200 and just drops. because of this i havent really been able to see how the motor runs above 3500- 4k. i am using a autometer electric gauge and sender on the back of the block 10-40 royal purple 6qts in a FMS swap pan. new oil pump w/ arp drive. the gauge is smooth and brand new when crusing under 3200 its ok, but even slowly depressing the accel pedal past that i see oil press flutter and drop???? any ideas??

oil pressure reads 75 cold , 30 warmed up and will raise up to 60-75 when accel up to 3200 and start to fall above that or drop to zero with a WOT
Ok. You probably have an electrical connection problem I'm guessing. Ground on the engine? Throttle linkage hitting the wiring harness? Alternator going haywire at a certain engine RPM? Wiring harness loose at the firewall connection? Broken wire that's moving? Have you got a rev limiter somewhere in the system? The fluctuating oil pressure indicates that you have a wiring problem with that, at least.
Check it out.
Rob
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Ok. You probably have an electrical connection problem I'm guessing. Ground on the engine? Throttle linkage hitting the wiring harness? Alternator going haywire at a certain engine RPM? Wiring harness loose at the firewall connection? Broken wire that's moving? Have you got a rev limiter somewhere in the system? The fluctuating oil pressure indicates that you have a wiring problem with that, at least.
Check it out.
Rob
Hey Rob i did indeed find that my oil pressure wire was loose ! also i added a ground to the sending unit. i revved the motor up a few times past 3500 and the gauge seemed to operate properly! i would like to go test drive it to make sure that was the problem but after all the beer i drank i dont think its a good idea! i will take it out tomarrow and run WOT a few times and let you guys know what happens, i would also like to thank everyone for the great advise and help with project
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

Hope that cures the problem, I had a similar oil pressure once and turned out my buddy has dropped my engine down a little to fast and caved the oil pan in. It sure didn't look like enough to do any harm but the oil pickup was to close the pan so I had to pound out the spot on the oil pan while it was off I welded some 1/4" feet on the pickup to prevent any further issues.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.