High prices at Summit - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > General Race Tech

General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 PM

DanE First On Race Day
Angry High prices at Summit

I quess I want to vent some frustration. I called Summit to obtain sparkplug wires and they wanted $74 for Bosch, while the local Autzone will sell the same wires for $60. Same thing for the Bilstein shocks I wanted for my wife's Excursion and my work van. Of course, they always say that they will match anyone's price. I don't like that. Why would I not buy from the guy that offers the better price to start with. If you are not paying attention, Summit will make your wallet lighter than it needs be. Thank you. Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Fairlanes4ever First On Race Day
Garage
Default Re: High prices at Summit

Summit and Jegs are the Wal-Mart of high performance parts. Everyone assumes they have the best price without question because they are the biggest which allows them to charge more for many items. It comes down to most of us would rather sit on our *** and click on the computer than drive to the local speed shop or parts store. Unfortunately that's why there aren't many local speed shop left

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Can't nuthin out run my V8 Ford"- Chuck Berry
Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

It may be the same part number on the box but trust me it is not the same product. I worked for a company years ago that made parts for auto zone and they have their own lines and the quality is not as good. The company I worked for made ignition modules for wells and we had two lines one was the normal Wells brand stuff and the other was the auto zone line and there were huge differences in quality!

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

With the stuff I have seen that auto zone does I won't even buy oil from that place!

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Dman64 First On Race Day

I agree their prices have increased and the shipping to Canada is crap too, I can buy it local from MOPAC and the price is usually the same in CAD and I save the shipping.
1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM

DanE First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblok86ranger View Post
It may be the same part number on the box but trust me it is not the same product. I worked for a company years ago that made parts for auto zone and they have their own lines and the quality is not as good. The company I worked for made ignition modules for wells and we had two lines one was the normal Wells brand stuff and the other was the auto zone line and there were huge differences in quality!
I agree with you in total about Auto Zone. Using Auto Zone was a poor choice for an analogy. But my point stands. Home Depot, Lowes, ect do the same thing in regards to product quality. And you have to watch yourself, especially house brands at Summit. I have delt with Summit since their beginning., but no more. With the advent of the internet, I can buy from the source or close to it. And I support our local speed shop/auto parts store when I can. We had a speed shop/auto parts store (Herks) and it got to the point where we could not buy parts for what Auto Zone sold them for. And Auto Zone got most things on consignment whereas we had to pay for our stock next billing. We had to close the doors.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM

BBFRanger First On Race Day

i use summit for the part numbers and google shopping or ebay for the cheapest place.

honestly its insane the price difference from an online store to a selller on ebay.

1991 Ranger, (stockish) 460BBF and 2-1/2 ton Rockwells. WORK IN PROGRESS.

RIP Matt (greenbroncoguy) 6-16-86/1-29-12. You will be missed but never forgotten.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 PM

fordsforme2 First On Race Day

rock auto for the every day stuff. i wish they had a better return policy.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 PM

BBFmavrick Bleeding Blue

Internet sales is about to take a dump when the states start all collecting sales tax on them. Seen that on news this morning

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 AM

Steve460 First On Race Day

Try buying stuff over here.
Then you will know high prices lol.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 AM

bob460 First On Race Day

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve460 View Post
Try buying stuff over here.
Then you will know high prices lol.
x1000.....................but Steve i have found the shop down under for performance parts.....amazing prices!!!!!!! you will S**T yourself at some prices LOL.

Cheers, Bob
Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 PM

Rollman First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFmavrick View Post
Internet sales is about to take a dump when the states start all collecting sales tax on them. Seen that on news this morning
Yeah, that sucks. But I have a question, which may or may not be a stupid one. Suppose that you would just start placing all of your orders over the phone. No longer an internet sale, and as long as you are receiving it outside of that business's state, then you would still be exempt from sales tax, right? Currently, if I am buying from an out of state business and I order over the phone or by mail, then I pay no sales tax. It doesn't seem to me like this would change, although I guess it just depends on the upcoming law's wording. Currently it looks like a loophole.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM

CarsByCarl Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFmavrick View Post
These people just don't get it. Through the course of our economy's downturn, what's the one area that's shown unprecedented growth? The one thing with the least government regulation....the internet.

As usual, this is all about the money, with big business trying to eliminate competition from smaller retailers. The big retailers are using their political influence to increase the cost and complexity of doing business to such a point that small business can't compete.

Walmart moved into small towns and sold at prices so low, mom and pops couldn't compete, then when all the mom and pops went out of business, Walmart raised their prices. Now they're focused on eliminating competition from small internet retailers. Summit/Jegs has also been profiting from the same strategy....they destroyed the local speed shops, and now they're raising prices. To some extent, the industry has started to self regulate with manufacturers requiring Summit/Jegs to sell parts at a retail price that's comparable to smaller retailer's pricing. They still get a deeper discount because of the volume, but the manufacturers will pull the product if they catch them using the lower wholesale pricing to undercut smaller retailers.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...hypothetically

The senators did not approve the law but endorsed only a vague, non-binding 21-word summary of it, which is appended to a budget—a congressional resolution that doesn’t even become law.

The bill has powerful opponents. Senators such as Max Baucus, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee and a Democrat from Montana, a state without any sales tax, does not want local businesses in his state to have to reckon with the complexity of collecting sales taxes from residents elsewhere in the country. Virginia Representative Bob Goodlatte, the Republican chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, has also said he sees the bill as overly complex and an undue burden for small retailers.

Then there’s the thorny issue of an exemption for small businesses—a hot-button topic that the non-binding resolution conveniently side-stepped.

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 03-28-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM

DanE First On Race Day

Well said, Carl. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.