Bring a 460 back to life! - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > General Tech

General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Markiii First On Race Day
Default Bring a 460 back to life!

I have passed the cold and snow filled days rebuilding my 1968 ford 460. After Replacing every gasket, Rods and lifters. New intake, carb, and water pump. I need to start putting the blood in the veins. The engine and car only have 42k miles before rebuild. What oil would be best for the first Couple hundred miles for break in? Good old oil or semi or full? What Weight? Brands?
Sorry for asking if this is a basic question this is my first rebuild for something with more then two wheels.
The cars paint has no clear coat and I love the way it looks(My grandfather bought the car then put it in a barn for 35 years) any ideas of how can I bring back just a little shine? I have yet to try anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 PM

Earl IV First On Race Day

Get some 15W40 Rotella or other brand (dino) diesel oil and run it, even after break-in it's better for old school flat tappets than modern EPA oils.

My son has a '70 Mark III with 128,000 on odometer we've been doing some tinkering on

New motor, trans, suspension, exhaust, radiator, brakes, AC, rear end... and he just got 20" wheels on it today

As for the paint, Meguiar's has several products for buffing/polishing, just make sure you use a low speed buffer and go easy until you can see how much you're taking off so you don't get down to the undercoat (been there, done that) If you're not comfortable, get an estimate from a local paint shop, it's not worth ruining a good original paint job to save a few bucks (especially when you factor in the cost of a new paint job)

Oh, not to be difficult but, there's no such thing as a 68 Mark III (I'm assuming that's what you're working on) or a 68-1/2, they were all designated by Ford as 69's despite the early start to production.

Last edited by Earl IV; 03-26-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 PM

514 Mach 1 Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to 514 Mach 1

The paint is easy. I can assume it is badly oxidized but why dont you put a picture up for me to see and I can ell you what will work if its saveable.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 AM

Dman64 First On Race Day

I would just use 10w30 with ZDDP additive, do a break in and drop it. Then replace with 10w30 with ZDDP and run it 1000 miles and drop it again, and as long as you have good pressures I would run 10w30 with ZDDP every 3000 miles. In my opinion if you are just driving a cruiser I would just use Dino oil.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM

Markiii First On Race Day
Default Re.

The paint is good but not great. With it about to get warm ill through in some 10w30 and see what happens. Ill dump it every 1000 miles.

I just power washed the car with some soap and thats all I've done. I've never done paint so I may start calling around to shops.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg
Old 03-31-2013, 12:22 PM

BBFmavrick Bleeding Blue

Don't look like it's gonna need much

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 PM

dlink First On Race Day
Default old 460

I have an old 460 marine engine. I have the model no. and the serial no. Are there any websites that i can go to get the year. and the specs or this engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.