460 in a Mustang? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > Race Talk

Race Talk Tech and Non Tech Discussion

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM

gasser196 First On Race Day
Default 460 in a Mustang?

Just a question for you guys who know a lot more then me about 460's and Mustangs. What year Mustang (non-1964-1979) is the Best candidate to swap in a 460 and bolt on parts to build a fun 10 sec car? This would be a non-street driven car, pure race car.

Thanks,
Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 AM

TorinoStyle2 Driving a Ford

Anything from 79 to the present.
79 to 93 Fox body's are cheap, plentiful, and have everything available for them in the aftermarket.
They are the 57 Chevy of the modern times....meaning, theres an entire aftermarket culture aimed directly at Mustangs.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 PM

Mustang-Junky First On Race Day

'79-93 will be lighter than the newer stuff.

Jess
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang-Junky View Post
'79-93 will be lighter than the newer stuff.

Jess
X2

1979-1993 are going to be the lightest, cheapest and they are plentiful.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM

Dman64 First On Race Day

The 1999 to 2004 is heavier but I would choose that, they are becoming plentiful as well.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 AM

Thanks again.

My wife is in love with the 2005 and up (s197) models. So I may be stuck with that style. My guess would be to off set the weight of the car and 460 with fiberglass doors, fenders and hood.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Lincoln1 First On Race Day

Option #2: Get a new wife.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Dman64 First On Race Day

Build one like Jon kaase's 2008 Boss 589. It will haul the mail.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Old 04-11-2013, 06:54 PM

I'm not getting a new wife!!!

I like this idea better.

"Build one like Jon kaase's 2008 Boss 589. It will haul the mail. "
Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 AM

BBFmavrick Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser196 View Post
I'm not getting a new wife!!!

I like this idea better.

"Build one like Jon kaase's 2008 Boss 589. It will haul the mail. "
I don't blame you. If ya got a good one better try to hang on too her and keep her happy,cars are a dime a dozen,good women aren't.

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Old 08-30-2013, 05:55 AM

supervel45 First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinoStyle2 View Post
Anything from 79 to the present.
79 to 93 Fox body's are cheap, plentiful, and have everything available for them in the aftermarket.
They are the 57 Chevy of the modern times....meaning, theres an entire aftermarket culture aimed directly at Mustangs.
+3 It's the new OLDSCHOOL.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 AM

Former429 First On Race Day

Keep the wife, but buy the bodystyle YOU like the best. I have done the "cheaper" Fox body method before. When you are done, it is fast, but you feel like selling it every time you see your preferred body drive by. Besides, if the Fox bodies around you look as bad as the Fox bodies around here, they almost need a full restoration in and out. Factor in a paint job at thousands (rust, blown-out torque boxes, or the Fox "roof crack" add $$). Newer cars have great paint and are a stiffer chassis to begin with.

I love the 2005-2009 bodystyle and have one for a daily driver and one that is a show car. I just got a 2005 v6 car "core" I bought for a few thousand bucks for a dedicated BBF drag car. Perfect paint, no damage and sell-able nice interior. I am waiting for the $400 AJE k-member/AJE 460 motor mounts to be delivered in December. You could do PSFRacer mounts for $200, but I don't like the factory motor mount setup (and you still keep the heavy/header intrusive k-member). Drop weight with trunk battery, Flaming River manual steering, tubular k-member, arms, frt coil-overs, BMR sway bar removed rad support, etc. The hood is light aluminum and the trunk lid barely weighs anything. Concentrate on pulling out all the creature comforts, frt/rear crash bars and buy a nice set of hole saws for the interior side of the door shells. Here is a link to a s197 site with weight reduction: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13162

As a side note, I almost 50 and 6' 2", so getting in and out of a Fox body is becoming more of a PITA (no problem with my 2 s197's).

Last edited by Former429; 11-29-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:35 PM

toytroy First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former429 View Post
Keep the wife, but buy the bodystyle YOU like the best. I have done the "cheaper" Fox body method before. When you are done, it is fast, but you feel like selling it every time you see your preferred body drive by. Besides, if the Fox bodies around you look as bad as the Fox bodies around here, they almost need a full restoration in and out. Factor in a paint job at thousands (rust, blown-out torque boxes, or the Fox "roof crack" add $$). Newer cars have great paint and are a stiffer chassis to begin with.

I love the 2005-2009 bodystyle and have one for a daily driver and one that is a show car. I just got a 2005 v6 car "core" I bought for a few thousand bucks for a dedicated BBF drag car. Perfect paint, no damage and sell-able nice interior. I am waiting for the $400 AJE k-member/AJE 460 motor mounts to be delivered in December. You could do PSFRacer mounts for $200, but I don't like the factory motor mount setup (and you still keep the heavy/header intrusive k-member). Drop weight with trunk battery, Flaming River manual steering, tubular k-member, arms, frt coil-overs, BMR sway bar removed rad support, etc. The hood is light aluminum and the trunk lid barely weighs anything. Concentrate on pulling out all the creature comforts, frt/rear crash bars and buy a nice set of hole saws for the interior side of the door shells. Here is a link to a s197 site with weight reduction: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13162

As a side note, I almost 50 and 6' 2", so getting in and out of a Fox body is becoming more of a PITA (no problem with my 2 s197's).
I do agree with buy the body style you like. Im dont agree with the fox chassis being so expensive to make look good. I live In southeast Washington and the 79-93 mustangs have no problems you have listed. I have only seen one slightly torn torque box but it was a 408w that hooked up. Ive never seen a 4cyl car have messed up tq boxes. We dont have much problem with rust. The full restoration statement is false for my area and what ive seen. The interiors may need cleaned or carpets have a small whole on drive side but thats it. I personally havent see a problem with the mustangs paint either in my area. Also, if its a straight drag car, the interior is normally torn out and people replace fenders, hood, trunck ect... with fiber glass so you gotta paint anyways. In stock form, id say the newer cars have stiffer chassis but, are roughly 500lbs+ heavier. Just at sub frame connectors and roll cage and your chassis will be way stiffer then newer factory. The statement on the s197 being a few thousand...? Where cause ill go buy 10 in good shape with no motors or trans. Around here, even the v6 model is well over $10k.

Not trying to be a negative nancy but I think a few of your things mentioned are a little on the harsh side sounding and the prices for vehicles are a little off. Ive had no problems that youve mentioned with my 85, 93, 89 and 91. My 85 is a bbf, my 89 and 91 are 5.0 liters and the 93 was a 4cyl. The only one that had bad paint was the 85 cause someone tryed to sand it and paint it blue. I find the myself haveing a herniated disc in my back, the sn95 body harder to get in and out then the fox chassis. Have only sat in 2 s197 and just the fox, my head was only a inch or so from the roof in MY sitting position but getting in and out on the passenger side was a tad easier in the s197. ]
Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 PM

psfracer First On Race Day

Gasser196---I am also in Valencia, CA, imagine that?

Anyway you can come by and look at my set up if you need ideas. Race weight on motor was 3340lbs with driver---with N20 race weight was 3420 with driver (because of 2 bottles and extra battery)

You could actually make it even lighter if you wanted, I retained the factory glass and doors so the car still looks like a "street car" even though its not. That is also with the heavier A460 block. And I agree, my mounts are not ideal for header clearance, but they still use an aftermarket K-member up front (BMR) and flaming river manual rack for clearance with the Moroso drag race pan. They are more for a "factory" look vs a motor and mid plate.

My Build: www.psfracer.com

Last edited by psfracer; 12-05-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.