DOT laws in Iowa - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Non-Tech Topics > Chilly's Garage

Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM

575ciBronco First On Race Day
Default DOT laws in Iowa

I have recently heard from several people that if I want to haul my race truck on my gooseneck to the races on the weekends that I will have to get my CDL and put DOT numbers on my pickup??? Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I personally think that is ridiculous due to it being a hobby but I have been told if you have ever won any money or have a chance at winning money it is not considered recreation.....

Derrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 AM

zephyrbob Driving a Ford

ding ding, you heard right. and to add salt to a wound the *****s will impound the whole rig and make it sit there till you have enough down time to resume driving with out a log book. welcome to the land of tax oh I meant fees with out representation. bobn
Old 05-11-2013, 02:02 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

I'd recommend calling your DMV and talking to someone who knows the rules. I have a CDL and can tell you air brakes, GVW over 26,000 lbs., transporting more than 15 people are some of the reasons for needing a CDL.

DOT is required on a commercial vehicle of you drive over 55mph (at least in Texas) or driving interstate.

Last edited by 68xr7cat; 05-11-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 PM

FE_rex Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68xr7cat View Post
..... commercial vehicle .....
BTW in Tx sponsor decals and monetary winnings could be determined as commercial.

Watch how much nitrous and fuel you have on board to avoid HAZMAT
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE_rex View Post
BTW in Tx sponsor decals and monetary winnings could be determined as commercial.

Watch how much nitrous and fuel you have on board to avoid HAZMAT
I have to wonder how they figure that. They would have to determine that you are a business. Even if you have a vehicle registered as commercial does not mean you automatically have to have a CDL. That is determined more by what it is.

By the same token you can have a semi for private use, but it still will be considered commercial just based on its classification and require a Class A CDL. I still feel the OP should find out exactly what he needs from the DMV and learn exactly what the law is regarding his situation so there be no BS going on.

Batteries require hazmat too. Is a good point not to have a 55 gallon drum of race gas on your trailer.

Seems every time you turn around the government wants to protect and improve our life which translates in to more fees (another name for tax) and more restrictions and hoops to jump through. Just got in the mail you have to "self certify" (meaning provide the documents) that you have your current DOT medical exam or they will pull your CDL.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 PM

Vandy Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrbob View Post
ding ding, you heard right. and to add salt to a wound the *****s will impound the whole rig and make it sit there till you have enough down time to resume driving with out a log book. welcome to the land of tax oh I meant fees with out representation. bobn
Log book is not required if you are not hauling for hire. I went though this in California, seems most states don't even read the DOT regulations, which clearly state no log book required for private use vehicles not hauling for hire. The CHP officer who wrote me a ticket didn't have a copy of the DOT regs & had never read them, said he had been doing it that way for 15 years. I had the ticket dismissed & had the Judge write me a letter that I kept with my registration. I had to show that letter more than once.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

Seems each state has some regulations that they are allowed to police. Back twelve years ago when I got my cdl they were talking about making it mandatory for any vehicle with a gvw over 26000 to require a cdl. It's coming boys so be prepared!

About two months ago in South Dakota I had to log my hours while observing a friend who was on their temps for cdl.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!

Last edited by bigblok86ranger; 05-12-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:36 AM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

The Feds set down minimum requirements of when you need a CDL and of course each state can add on just for fun...

Here is a good link:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...ng/cdl/cdl.htm
Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Rampage815 Driving a Ford

My girlfriend got her CDL to drive a school bus. Bus she tested in didn't have air brakes company gave her a bus with air brakes. Got a ticket two months later for not having air brake endorsement on CDL. another friend drove a wrecker with a class B CDL was legal to pull truck/trailer all over USA. got a job driving a truck and got a ticket. Seems he could pull the truck/trailer with the wrecker but could not drive the truck/trailer combo.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.