Top Fuel Front Engine Dragster Buildup - Page 12 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser196 View Post
I got a package from an ebay seller today. Its a 1988 Super Ford magazine with a bitchin full spread of the Nightmare Fuel Altered. Paul do you think I can get Van to sign it for me?

Paul I hope to meet you in person soon.

Vince
WOW. I know that article. It's been awhile since I've seen it and I would love to see that magazine.

But will Vandy sign your magazine? I'm betting that Van will decline and you will have to try your darndest to carefully and logically convince him, haha. He is the most modest and unassuming person I know...not egotistical, not arrogant in the least.

As much as people marvelled over his cars, as much as that magazine gushed about the Nighmare Fuel Altered and Van's mad fabrication skills, Van never sought recognition for his builds--he is as pure and passionate about drag racing simply for drag racing's sake than probably anyone else I know. He just loves to build race cars and nitro engines for personal satisfaction and if that remains on the D-L then that's perfectly fine with him.

Good luck, and if he declines just be grateful you have that Super Ford issue.

(Back to the dragster thread.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Dale Johnson First On Race Day

Very outstanding, You guys rock. I hope mine turns out half as cool as yours.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Johnson View Post
Very outstanding, You guys rock. I hope mine turns out half as cool as yours.
Thanks, Dale, and don't worry we'll make sure yours is a blast to drive as well.

-P
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Cool

This Friday and Saturday nights (June 14 & 15), Famoso Raceway is putting on Saturday Night Nitro. The nitro sessions are at 8:30 and 10:30 each evening, followed by the Jet Dragsters. Friday evening is the testing and Saturday evening is the big show.

The Front Engine Dragster just received its annual 5.0 Second re-certification, and we will be there Friday evening and doing some license passes (injected alcohol). We have 4 more license passes to go. If all goes well Friday then we might join in on the festivities Saturday night.

Come on down and say hello. If you can't make it then we hope to have some new pictures and/or video posted sometime next week.

Paul

P.S.: For detailed info about the event, click HERE.

Last edited by Paul Kane; 06-23-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:14 AM

Mike R Driving a Ford

Sounds like a blast Paul, good luck and have fun
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM

gasser196 First On Race Day

Jeff and I will be there Saturday night with our oldest daughters. We'll stop by and say hi. Hopefuly next year we'll be in the show with a 460 AA/FA.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 PM

We got to "The Patch" in time to talk to Van and Kevin. Then watch the Nightmare make a pass. Congratulations to Kevin on his NHRA license.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Cool

Well, we got 4 license passes in at the Saturday Night Nitro event at Famoso. The last two passes were full quarter-mile passes. The car definitely works as it should as proven in the last two full-length passes. It does need lots of sorting as a new car often may, such as tune, stall, gearing, etc, to make it go quicker and faster. But from launch to pulling the chutes it works great overall.

Before we get to those details and pictures of the race weekend here are some pics of front wing fabrication, as it was decided to add a front wing to the car before making this event.

Ribbing for the new front wing:

Initial forming of the sheetmetal for the new front wing:

Riveting the new front wing:

Basic completion of the new front wing:

Wing installed on the race car (going through Tech Insepction at Famoso):

More Famoso pics to follow....

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrontWing_01.jpg (73.0 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg FrontWing_02.jpg (70.3 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg FrontWing_03.jpg (90.0 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg FrontWing_05.jpg (62.3 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg FrontWing_06.jpg (67.1 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by Paul Kane; 06-20-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 AM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

Great looking car!! Would love to see some video of the car in action if/when you get a chance to post some.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Cool Video of Shakedown Runs: The Findings

Okay, as noted in my last post the car does need sorting (as most any newly constructed car may). Areas such as engine tune, converter stall speed, rear axle gearing, etc, need to be adjusted in order to make it go quicker and faster down the track. Based on the runs made at this outing, we have deduced the following:
  • The engine tune remains rich as hell on the methanol fuel. Before the last pass seen in these videos, we literally increased the fuel return jet size by a whopping 15 numbers, and still there is absolutely no heat in the plugs. And so the engine remains in a detuned state for injected alcohol (we are not concerned, we intend to dial in a nitro tune).
  • The stall convertor speed is about 5500 rpm with the current engine power. 5500 rpm is way too high as the car cannot take advantage of the 533 stroker's flat torque curve which starts about 2500 rpm lower than the rpm at whch the car hooks up and goes. Therefore we are installing a brand new converter with different stall characteristics.
  • The TH400 transmission is not shifting correctly. It jumps from 1st gear to 3rd gear. The reason for skipping 2nd gear has been pin-pointed to the shift gate. Fortunately, this is a simple fix and not a tranny problem.
  • The 4.11 rear axle ratio is too low in conjuction with the 5500 rpm stall speed. The rear gear will be swapped out to a 3.54 final ratio. Given the light weight of the car, the torque that this engine produces, and the trans now giving us 2nd gear, we feel this is a step in the right direction.
Below are two videos from the last License Pass of the day. As most of you know, 6 passes minimum are required for general licensing, and the last two required passes are to be full-length passes. Both of the videos posted below are of the final License Pass which is 8.67 @ 151 mph. One view is from the burnout box, and the other view is from about 3/4-track.

As you watch these videos, you will notice that the engine "flat lines" down the track, meaning there is no rpm increase as the car accelerates. That is mostly due to the high stall converter. The changes we are making to the car (bulleted above in this post) should correct this. Also, in the top video ("View from Launch"), you can even see Van gesture entusiastically for the car's expected shift to 3rd gear--which doesn't occur because the car is already in 3rd gear (shifted from 1st straight to 3rd).

I would think that all the changes should get us closer to the 8.00's, but this assumes we tune the engine. Frankly we have no intention of dialing in an alcohol tune since going that direction is pointless as we intend to run nitromethane.

In the mean time, here's the first day of full License Passes down the track at Famoso:

Last Pass, View From Launch:

Last Pass, View From 3/4 Track:

We plan to return to Famoso on Jul 12 & 13 for the next "Saturday Night Nitro" event. And assuming the car's driveline is better sorted, we intend to start dialing in a nitro tune for the engine. I think that the plan is to step in at about 40%. We need to break 7.50 in the quarter in order to be properly licensed for the classes in which we intend to run the car.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Kane; 07-03-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:34 PM

90% in the tank and add a blower. I bet you'll be in the 6's.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser196 View Post
90% in the tank and add a blower. I bet you'll be in the 6's.
It's pretty safe to say that combination could put the sorted car in somewhere in the 5's.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Good luck this weekend. I'll stop by and say hi on Saturday night.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Cool

This weekend (June 13), Famoso Raceway is putting on Saturday Night Nitro's second event in the three race series.

At this point in the early stages of the program, our goal is to make a pass at 7.50 or better in the quarter. While I have been stuck up here in the SF Bay Area, Van and Keven have made numerous changes to the car since its initial full-pass shakedown runs at the last outing. Based on the cars behavior during its first full passes, the following changes were made:
  • Rear gear ratio changed. Was a 4.11 final; changed to a 3.54 final
  • Torque converter changed. The first converter isn't right for our specific application and we hope the newly installed converter suits better.
  • Shift linkage modified. The shift gate was not catching 2nd gear and the linkage was modified for more positive shifting.
  • Camshaft changed. The little 257@050 cam used in the shakedown runs has been removed. The next cam that we were intending to step up to would have increased dur@050 by 35 degrees (292@050, our "baseline" cam). Unfortunately, it was discovered that the valve reliefs in the custom pistons are completely mis-located by the manufacturer. This keeps us from going to the 292@050 cam and in order to make this race we had no choice but to step cam size up by only 15 degrees (272@050) for the time being.
  • Brake system components changed. We are trying different master cylinder this time out.
  • Fuel Changed. We will be stepping into the Nitro program at 50%

Come on down and say hello. If you can't make it then we hope to have some new pictures and/or video posted sometime next week.

Paul

P.S.: For detailed info about the event, click HERE.

Last edited by Paul Kane; 07-12-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

50% Nitro! WOO-HOO! I LOVE the smell of Nitro in the morning! lol
Rob
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.