Newbee dont laugh (too much) MPG question? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > 4x4's, Pullers, Crawlers and other HD rides

4x4's, Pullers, Crawlers and other HD rides We don't need no stinkin' asphalt!

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 PM

plcdwg101 First On Race Day
Default Newbee dont laugh (too much) MPG question?

So, anyone have any 460 daily drivers out there. I'm looking at a 79 4x4 with a 460. Cammed, headers, Intake, 650'fish FM carb. Basic head work. I know its crazy at this point. I'm hoping for 10+ mph. Any chance? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 PM

HMMACH1 First On Race Day

Depending on gear ratio and driving style I'd say its possible, but if you have a heavy foot not likely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 PM

76ford466 First On Race Day

When I was driving my 78 to work couple years ago 460 built decent for a street truck with a 850 demon it wasnt exactly running perfect at first and it's 30 miles one way put five gallon in it it was out and run out before I got home. Good thing i always carried some in a jug in the bed back then. Had 3.50 gears and 33s with a c6 then. But latly I drove it and got around 10 maybe a little better if I took it easy. Got it running better and 4.56 gears with 33s and reworked my motor last winter and a four speed also. So my opinion is a lot of gas mileage has to due with the state of tune up in it. Such as timming and a good carb. So 10 is a very achievable number. Just don't stand on it and suck the tank flat lol.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 PM

supervel45 First On Race Day

Size of tires,gear ratios,type of carb, and camshaft will play a major role in gas mileage. I would think 10mpg on a mild set up with an egg on the gas pedal might be possiable.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 AM

Danny Cabral Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcdwg101 View Post
Newbie, don't laugh (too much) - MPG Question?
I'm not laughing...there's nothing funny about a well tuned and efficient running engine.

My previous 460 big block Ford (400 horsepower) got 13 MPG (city) with a Commander 950,
electric fans & Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD. Here's another good example:
http://www.amosauto.com/Articles/Cor...ishly-simple-1 (16.5 MPG with an 860HP/742TQ 555" BBC)

Fuel economy is a result of how well you can tune EFI. The base calibrations offer good starting, idling, driveability and power.
The potential for great fuel economy exists, however, you must tune your particular application to achieve it.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM

qmedmike First On Race Day
Cool qmedmike

Hey guys i am an old man newbie so dont laugh to much at me .I just purchased a 1986 class c motor home 460 my milage is 6 mpg is there any hope for 10 to 12 out of it .? only has 67000 miles on it .any help of any sort will greatly appreciated thanks qmedmike
Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 PM

Captain First On Race Day

466/C6 in my 79 Bronco with 3.50 gears...eh...I don't know how many MPG I got. I know I got tired of putting gas in it each day so I got me a KLR 650 to drive to work . Hahaha.

I'm planning to put in a ZF5 or NP435 in my Bronco which would hopefully give me a little better MPG and more power.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 AM

Danny Cabral Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmedmike View Post
Any help of any sort will greatly appreciated.
http://performanceunlimited.com/projects.html (Project MPG 1 & 2)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.