Pressure plate clamping force...how much is too much? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > Driveline

Driveline Transmission, Clutch, Gearing, etc...

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 PM

AlanCasida Driving a Ford
Default Pressure plate clamping force...how much is too much?

I am just about finished with the 521 DragWeek motor for my 66 Galaxie and I am undecided on what pressure plate to use. I have bought a 3200lb Mcleod diaphragm style unit but I am concerned it will still take two men and a boy to push the clutch pedal in. I had a 2300lb diaphragm type behind my 460 that worked just fine but I never ran it at the track. Is 3200lb overkill or do I need something like that to handle all that torque coupled with a 4400lb car? The transmission is a TKO600 5 spd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 04:25 PM

bbstickstang Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to bbstickstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCasida View Post
I am just about finished with the 521 DragWeek motor for my 66 Galaxie and I am undecided on what pressure plate to use. I have bought a 3200lb Mcleod diaphragm style unit but I am concerned it will still take two men and a boy to push the clutch pedal in. I had a 2300lb diaphragm type behind my 460 that worked just fine but I never ran it at the track. Is 3200lb overkill or do I need something like that to handle all that torque coupled with a 4400lb car? The transmission is a TKO600 5 spd.
Clamp pressure will depend on type of disc as well HP, weight,rear gear, 1st gear ratio and driving style.
3200 is a lot of pressure , but if your running a organic disc you may need that much with you combination.
If it is a truly street strip car you will have to compromise.

If you want something with a lightened pedal pressure you can go with a six paddle sintered bronze disc, it has a high coefficient and will hold with a lot less pressure than a organic disc, like around 1400# plate load,BUT is very aggressive and will chatter , but it will hold with slicks, HP and weight.

Next up would be the Sintered Iron single disc with a Long style PP that is adjustable both in Clamp(static) pressure and centrifugal counter weight. In a race application you can get down to 500# along with 10 -12 grams of counter weight and it will hold 600HP or more at 4000#(car weight) as long as its geared right.

You need some slip either from the clutch or tires with that TKO in order to keep from breaking it. IMHO............
www.classicgearjammers.org

Last edited by bbstickstang; 06-23-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 PM

AlanCasida Driving a Ford

Thanks for the input. You provided me with some very valuable information. I have similar concerns over the TKO also. I have not raced it and it was behind a mild 460PI before. I am contemplating putting the C6/Gearvendor back in it for DragWeek.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.