C6 trans overall length? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > Driveline

Driveline Transmission, Clutch, Gearing, etc...

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM

customblackbird First On Race Day
Default C6 trans overall length?

Looking for the C6s overall length with tail cover. Mine has the shorter version and was a Lincoln long type but swapped that all out. Going to swap a 2004R in for the overdrive awesomeness and just wondering what my overall length is? TCI site says 33.5" but that must be too long. I know the 2004R is like 27 11/16" and I really don't want to pay for lengthening the driveshaft as shortening is much cheaper.

C6 has 3 tail shaft covers. Lincoln is the longest, passenger car is like 3" shorter and the truck one is like 7" total length. I think I have the truck one. Just hoping they are close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 12:10 PM

68montego First On Race Day

I have the lincoln one, which is the longest. Its measures at 36" fron bellhousing to tailshaft. Picked up another transmission that was from a truck and it was 34" long. Dont know the last one though. Hope that helps!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 PM

Crap, that means the 2004R is about 5" shorter which means like 250$ to lengthen my driveshaft.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 PM

Dman64 First On Race Day

Lengthen? Don't you mean buy a new one? $250 is cheap here they are almost double that.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by customblackbird View Post
Looking for the C6s overall length with tail cover. Mine has the shorter version and was a Lincoln long type but swapped that all out. Going to swap a 2004R in for the overdrive awesomeness and just wondering what my overall length is? TCI site says 33.5" but that must be too long. I know the 2004R is like 27 11/16" and I really don't want to pay for lengthening the driveshaft as shortening is much cheaper.

C6 has 3 tail shaft covers. Lincoln is the longest, passenger car is like 3" shorter and the truck one is like 7" total length. I think I have the truck one. Just hoping they are close.
I believe the truck one is 11" and the passenger car is 17"...

Sounds like your gonna have to chuck it up in the ole driveshaft stretcher.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 PM

68montego First On Race Day

I had a driveshaft shortened for me and those a-holes charged me over a $100 of what was quoted and took 2 weeks longer than said and they made me measure wrong and waste my time on 4 seperate occasions and when I got there to pick it up they hadn't even painted it and said they didn't have time while they were standing around. To say the least I had a bad first experience. I was glad that when I put my 429 in that the driveshaft fit perfect after I got the trans in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-17-2013, 12:59 AM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

Sounds like you are not going to recommend that place. If you have a big old lathe and a mig welder you can make your own driveshaft. Another poor boy option is to take your tape measure to the junk yard and start measuring driveshafts. Many moons ago my brother swapped in a TH400 in place of the super turbine 300 in his '65 Skylark and found a driveshaft that way. It can be done with some looking...
Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman64 View Post
Lengthen? Don't you mean buy a new one? $250 is cheap here they are almost double that.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Haha do they ship to USA? Reason mine is so much is that its a Denny's driveshaft 3" nitrous ready with 1350 u joints and spicer forged ends. This thing goes for 500$ and is basically in unbreakable, if I break it they replace for free!

I need something that will hold up to 550hp min but maybe like 600-650 if I use NOS. to shorten the driveshaft I have will run me 100$ but that's bc I have to get a new trans yoke. Basically to lengthen it they cut the old ends off and build u a new shaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.