Any Deisel guys at home - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > General Tech

General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM

GT300TD Driving a Ford
Default Any Deisel guys at home

My son-in-law is broke down in Tennessee, F350 7.3 deisel. Truck is at a small Ford dealer. They have already installed a new Turbo Charger and now they say he needs #3 and #8 injectors. They said $1750 for two injectors and labor. This seems pretty high, any comments?
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM

kblackav8or Driving a Ford

Well the turbo would be a lot of that at dealer prices. Why are they into the injectors too? Those are not necessarily related maladies. Either the dealer doesn't know what they are doing or there is a lot wrong with this engine. You can find good used stock Powerstroke turbos for a couple hundred frequently on Craigslist as people upgrade them to higher performing turbos. I would have taken it to an International truck dealer or a smaller place specializing in diesels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 AM

GT300TD Driving a Ford

He was stuck with AAA towing him to this Ford dealer and had to pretty much go with their decision. He was towing a 40 foot toy hauler camper and had to be on the job in southern Florida Monday morning. At the time he didn't know it was going to involve this much as the truck was running fine before he took this job. The dealer installed a Map (sp) sensor and that wasn't it so ran some additional test to determine it was the Turbo ($2200 plus labor). It still didn't run right so the were supposed to hook it up for an hour test and came up with this.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:50 PM

BBFRanger First On Race Day

This does not sound like a competent diesel repair dealer if they are running tests and coming up with all sorts of different problems that are not fixing the one making it run bad. Injectors for these trucks are expensive with they're HEUI injection system. It could be injectors but could also be the IDM (injector driver module), our something simple as a wiring harness either under the valvecover or the valvecover gasket itself being faulty. While throwing parts at it will eventually fix it, the price of parts for a diesel engine will rack up quick

1991 Ranger, (stockish) 460BBF and 2-1/2 ton Rockwells. WORK IN PROGRESS.

RIP Matt (greenbroncoguy) 6-16-86/1-29-12. You will be missed but never forgotten.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:28 PM

GT300TD Driving a Ford

My son-in-law told them it has a small oil leak and to fix it while they are at it. Tuesday they told my daughter the couldn't find the oil leak, after they installed the Turbo.
Seems like they should have checked the injectors before they installed the Turbo? It ran when he had it towed but wouldn't pull the hills. I told my daughter to get the old Turbo.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 AM

ag460torino Bleeding Blue
Default diesel

I'm a certified master diesel tech for past 20 plus years. Loss of power on hills can be as simple as a broken turbo clamp. Will usually have a high pitch whistle when under load. If turbo DID go out completely they can dump oil into the chassis charge system and into the cyls or out the exh. And it can be quite a bit. After changing a turbo they are supposed to empty the oil from the chassis charge and steam it out. If they bring the old turbo back, look for signs of oil on intake AND/OR exh side of housing. Also look for scrapping inside of housing where fins drug against it. Also look for broken fins. The oil getting into the engine in large amounts (large enough at times that the engine can take off and over rev on just burning the oil alone and blow up), but the oil will carbon up on the injector tips depending on how long it has been going on.

There are dozens of things that I can go on about. When checking old turbo take the input/output shaft in your hands and "wobble" it in the housing. Should be minimal movement. Turn it by hand while keeping pressure on shaft and listen for light scraping sound.

I hate to say it but a lot of diesel shops out there WILL gouge a "passer through", not all though. If you can tell me what color the exh smoke was when pulling a hill that can tell you a lot. A plugged air filter will drastically effect power and will even pull oil up past rings if clogged bad enough. A clogged fuel filter will give you loss of power under a hard pull. IF turbo did let go, pieces can get drawn in "backwards" through exh valves and the pieces could break a tip off an injector. I have seen where one piece was literally "tossed" between 2-3 cylinders creating injector and valve damage as it went along.

See what I mean about how many things could or couldn't/ may have or haven't.... gone wrong. And it's not UNCOMMON to have one problem create other problems too.

But the sound it made while pulling a hill along with the color of smoke (oil, fuel, etc) can tell someone on line wonders. But up to that point it's a lot of guessing.

If you get the turbo and want to ask me some questions just PM me and I could probably even call you and talk you through some tests and things to look at/for.

The prices do sound high but shops are charging OVER 100 an hour and going by book flat rate. Plus, like I said, there ARE shady shops out there. I always did my best to help people and really not screw the ones passing through. I have always hated the thought of shops that do that........

PM me if you have any questions. It's just REALLY hard to give you answers over a computer.......

Good Luck,

Auggie
Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 PM

GT300TD Driving a Ford
Angry

A lot has happened since I last posted. My daughter got the truck back and after almost $6000* it still wouldn't pull a hill even without the camper. They said there was nothing else they could do with it. They said she could drive it home (about 650 miles) but if it started to bog down to pull over and stop, push in the clutch and turn off the ignition, start it back up and rev it up a few times with the clutch in and it would run good for a couple more hours and then do this again if it starts to loose power???????. So they decided to have the truck and camper towed back home, another $1500. My son-in-law is working in Florida and will be for another month. He's 'stuck' there because he is the Superintendant on a nuclear plant shut down working 7-12's
Thanks for the reply auggie.

Edit: they kept the turbo because they installed a rebuilt turbo and said it would be $700 core charge. This dealer is in Jellico, Tennessee.
Edit:*it was actually $5200

Last edited by GT300TD; 09-30-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:27 PM

ag460torino Bleeding Blue
Default power

what year is the truck, just out of curiosity????
Old 09-30-2013, 04:10 PM

GT300TD Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag460torino View Post
what year is the truck, just out of curiosity????
2001 w/125,xxx miles
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM

bowsher21 First On Race Day
Default Help on the net

He might want to register here
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...splay.php?f=55

Guy's are willing to help those that are broke down.

Good Luck
Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 PM

im also on powerstroke.org. a lot of nice and knowledgeable guys on both forums willing to help.

RIP Matt (greenbroncoguy) 6-16-86/1-29-12. You will be missed but never forgotten.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM

hyperpasta First On Race Day

Sounds like the dealer is lacking....

Some of the common issues of the 7.3 are........

Failing crank position sensor (CPS).

Failing or leaking Injector Control Pressure(ICP) sensor.

Bad UVCH, Under Valve Cover Harness, this supplies the injectors with 130 Volts to fire the injector solenoid and when to fire.

You could have a worn high pressure oil pump, no pressure and the motor won't make power. This little guy pumps upward of 3200 psi depending on injector and mapping needs.

At 100 thousand miles the injectors are tired. They can go longer, but the plunger/ barrels are more than likely loose. Power drops as they age, soot increases.

There is an injector drive module (IDM) that can fail as well but rarely.

Join one of the above mentioned list and find someone in your area that has a laptop with AE software and have them test your rig and nail your issues.

Checkout....on the web.

Power Stroke Army
Ford Diesel Power

Read the "Tech" sections and educated yourself.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperpasta View Post
Sounds like the dealer is lacking....

Some of the common issues of the 7.3 are........

Failing crank position sensor (CPS).

Failing or leaking Injector Control Pressure(ICP) sensor.

Bad UVCH, Under Valve Cover Harness, this supplies the injectors with 130 Volts to fire the injector solenoid and when to fire.

You could have a worn high pressure oil pump, no pressure and the motor won't make power. This little guy pumps upward of 3200 psi depending on injector and mapping needs.

At 100 thousand miles the injectors are tired. They can go longer, but the plunger/ barrels are more than likely loose. Power drops as they age, soot increases.

There is an injector drive module (IDM) that can fail as well but rarely.

Join one of the above mentioned list and find someone in your area that has a laptop with AE software and have them test your rig and nail your issues.

Checkout....on the web.

Power Stroke Army
Ford Diesel Power

Read the "Tech" sections and educated yourself.
x2 all except about the crank position sensor, its actually a CAM position sensor.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM

GT300TD Driving a Ford

Thanks for the help guys, powerstroke.com sounds like a good idea. Right now the truck and camper are parked 'safely' at their home in central Ohio while he is 'stuck' in central Florida. When he gets home he'll probably take it to Graham Ford Truck and get it fixed right. Thanks again.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.