429 install into 1968 montego wagon - Page 22 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:05 PM

68montego First On Race Day

Alright ill try that. Yeah I am. It starts right up on the first try. Better than a new car lol. Very powerful too. Working on getting some rearend under there to make it quicker. I have one coming up and now that it doesn't overheat I have been driving it everywhere. Swear it gets like 76 miles to the gallon... I drive it like I stole it. but my valve stem seals are bad which need replacing. Its embarrassing when it blows smoke on start up. I meant to ask you how you fan setup went! Got any pictures?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM

Dman64 First On Race Day

You can fix those seals in the off season enjoy it while you can, I like when guys bring their projects to shows.

I have my 3G alternator in and just need to get the fans and relays installed, I went to pick n pull and grabbed al the factory relays and fuses and wiring harnesses for the setup and for the 3G upgrade it cost me $25 for everything. The only thing I need to do is get a core now so I can get my $60 core charge back from Napa. Lol. But I won't make a special trip only of I need something else or feel like hitting the wrecks to see what's in there.

I am in AZ enjoying the heat by the pool right now and will get the fans installed when I get back to Canada. Haven't even been to a car show yet this year, but I have been getting some miles on the new OD trans, I also need to deal with my oil seepage issues as it seems it has good crankcase pressure and I am going to do an air pump catch setup as well. Always something to do. Lol.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM

Yeah I know I have been enjoying it quite a lot. Ive been to one car show before i put my new fan on and i overheated bad on the way back. Cant wait to take it to the track! Hey that's not bad only $25. Those core charges will get you lol. Wow AZ huh thats a bit far from canada. Enjoying vacation I'm guessing. the desert is wonderful. I've lived in pa all my life. Its been cold here the last couple of days its weird and by cold I mean like 70's maybe 80's but usually its like 95* outside. Yeah I have oil pushing out of my timing cover seal around my crank. Need to set up my egr soon. Another thing that bothers me. My oil also gets dirty really quick. I'm thinking its because of my short drives less than a mile multiple times a day. But so far it runs great and idles so smooth.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 PM

supervel45 First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
Pilot hole is in the crank. The splined input on the trans will be the same on all C6's.
Some of the early C6's have a 30-30(I believe this is correct count) spine count shaft that can be put in both directions. Later input shafts have different spine count on each end, so that they can't be installed backwards. If you have one of the old 5 clutch foward drums and the old shaft, keep them together, as the shafts are hard to find now, and be sure to install the long splines to the rear of the transmission.

Last edited by supervel45; 09-02-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Hey guys been awhile to update but anyway car has been running cool and reliable. The other day I decided to check my gas pedal linkage. Well turns out my gas pedal was barely pulling my throttle halfway. So I fixed that and readjusted my kickdown cable. Low and behold the true power of the mighty Ford Big Block came out to play. This whole time I have been driving this thing around doing burnouts and whatnot at HALF THROTTLE!! well I got about twenty minutes of driving and a big Smokey burnout at FULL THROTTLE before my trans I rebuilt early this year died. So now I'm going to pull the trans tomorrow and see what went wrong. My oh my was I surprised to feel how powerful and fast it really was. Holy crap! Can wait to get this 460 built and put in, unfortunately that's put on the back burner til trans is fixed. Anyway ill post up more after I get trans out and apart.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 PM

mp40 Driving a Ford

DOH! That definitely sucks!

Hopefully, the trans case will be still in good shape.

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 AM

SPLUHAR Driving a Ford

I hate automatics
Old 09-27-2013, 12:03 AM

Well my ignition died so I ordered aand installed the crane xr-I in my distributor to get rid of those unruly points finally. Hopefully I can get it down to my shop to pull the trans this weekend! I hate automatics too. If I had the money to spare I would put a 4 speed in there believe me.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 AM

SPLUHAR Driving a Ford

I picked up a 63 390 galaxie 3 speed toploader for $25, a bellhousing & a pedal from a 400m bronco for $15, a flywheel from a 390 for $20, and a shifter for $15, out of craigs list, ebay, local junk yards, etc. I bought a new clutch/pp/to bearing from napa. It's all going in soon. I gotta build a z bar and brackets, and set it all up.

You should put my c6 behind your engine. It's been slipping and dying for 7 years. At one point 5 years ago, it was slipping so bad that I couldn't leave the neighborhood. I put 1/4 cup of brake fluid in it and its been going ever since. It's been flaring pretty bad going into 3rd for 2 years. I just ease off of it to let it shift. I don't baby it otherwise.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:44 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

What happened is you did not set up the modulator and used an unknown valve body, plus is your first time out so your still learning too. I hope that converter is not a Dayco. I'd look at the line pressure, pull the VB, see what the fluid looks like and air check the clutches. Did you bypass the factory cooler and put a new external cooler on?

BTW what exactly is the issue?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM

ag460torino Bleeding Blue
Default fuel milage

Quick question...... AFTER fixing throttle...... were you STILL getting like 76 MPG????? LMAO!!! I'm thinking NOT! LOL!

But fuel mileage is over rated anyways! haha. Before I made changes to Torino I was using aprox 1 1/2 - 2 gals of 114 racing fuel to go from my trailer to sitting in staging lane, heat up tires, make a 1/4 mile pass and back to trailer. So aprox a 1/2 mile round trip. So I don't get MPG....... I get GPM's!! hahaha About 3 gallons for a mile of fun. And it's only 8.50 a gallon! lol

Hope you're having fun with it! I'm buttoning things up and hoping to run tomorrow and Sunday for test and tuning. We will see if I break my best of 12 sec flat and get better fuel mileage to boot!

Have a good weekend! Will let you know what happens
Old 09-27-2013, 05:07 PM

i installed the crane electronic pickup and low and behold my wagon came to life. finally got rid of those points. anyway yeah a manual trans behind a big block i can only imagine how much fun. i love shifting my v6 truck let alone my wagon which puts my truck to shame lol. but yes i didnt have anything set up when i first put the trans in i.e. kickdown valvebody, modulator. plus it was my first time as well, but it did last a good bit until i unleased the beast that resides under the hood. next time i will have a shift kit in it and modulator already set up with the correct length kickdown cable all ready to go. i drive like i stole it so my 6-7 miles per gallon (which was much better when i just cruised around) is normal lol. hell my truck barely gets 14 mpg putting around in it. anyway i did a have aftermarket cooler and bypassed the factory. line pressure was my one concern and i never checked it. checke everything else tho. the converter is a boss hog converter stock stall. im really excited to see what you run ag460torino. im sure you will whoop 12's ***. well ill be taking the trans out tomorrow and i will post what i find. thanks again and have a great weekend everyone.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

So what is the transmission doing or should I say NOT doing??? No drive, slipping, etc...

I'd look for a better converter next time. Honestly a stock C-6 should live a long life in your car.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:45 PM

Ok today i drove it to my shop about a mile away from my house. It had almost no reverse. First would slip a little and then grab and go and seemed to shift fine tho. Got it up and trans pan off to find this. Trans is now out and on the floor. I had magnet in the pan and it picked up a lot of stuff.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1380401078186.jpg (85.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1380401087027.jpg (90.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1380401095476.jpg (44.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1380401103658.jpg (66.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1380401112332.jpg (81.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

Something is being gnawed on for sure! That aluminum that looks like paint in the oil is a sign of a failed converter, although given all you have described and how much metal is in the pan my bet is something not right around the low/reverse roller clutch or rear planet.

Plan on a new converter and oil cooler. Take every piston apart and put in new seals. Wash that case real well as the ground up aluminum powder gets into the pores of the case. You want to get it all out or else you will end up a sticking governor after a day or two of running.... Ask me how I know! Hot ATF cleans real well.

BTW did you measure the end play when you originally built the unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.