Building a big block for my '67 F100 - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:15 PM

68montego First On Race Day

X2 I think that street fighter has too high of a peak for what your looking for. But then again don't know the torque curve. It could come in very low and just steadily rise to 4,000 rpm. Talk to carl or one of the engine builders on here and get an idea of what you want and how much it will cost. They can build it exactly like you want.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 02:23 PM

itsabullitt First On Race Day

Thanks guys. I will give Carl a shout when it comes time to pull the trigger.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM

Fordmanmatt First On Race Day
Garage

I have a similar build I have a 78 ford f150 2wd and I am building it to around 500 to 575 hp and I have all the new parts right now ready to install and you need to look at around 7500 to 8000 to be realistic to reach 500 hp I have the scat crank and probe flat top pistons iske cam etc and I have not totaled my cost up yet but I know I am over 6000 just sitting in my closet right now and I have not even bought the heads or carb yet. I do have d3s that have been ported just recently but decided not to use them Trick Flow Instead for me
Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM

ITSA 91 First On Race Day

I agree with stroking it.Start with as big (557?) and strong a bottom end as you can afford.If that does not get you the "power" that you want,its easier to change heads,cam and carb than to start all over again.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 PM

itsabullitt First On Race Day

Thanks again for the replies. I'm thinking a stroker may offer the best low end torque for my towing needs, but I still want decent power up top too. I'm really leaning toward just having a crate engine built. This way I know I have the right head/cam/intake combo from the get go and won't have to worry about changing parts down the road. I was originally thinking a $5000 budget for parts, but even if that was possible, it's worth it to me to have the complete motor for the extra couple grand. By the time I have the machine work done, and all the extra time for assembly I'm coming out even, or maybe a little ahead by going crate motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.