need some direction.. - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Non-Tech Topics > Chilly's Garage

Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:31 PM

Thrasher First On Race Day
Default need some direction..

Hey guys names Joe Thrasher I own an 87 ford 2wd f150 that I'm wanting to drop a 460 in. So any suggestions or advice on where to begin or what and where to purchase parts would be awesome.

On the cheap I'd like a 500whp truck with nitrous to help me get to my goal so smy advice on a sey up would be awesome!

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 PM

raland First On Race Day

HEYYY JOE! ------ Lots of guys on here looking for more power "on the cheap". Many of them end up spending big bucks on some big power parts, build a high horse toy for more than they entended to spend, and they go Fast! Seems to me, if there is a way to get long living / big power on the cheap, these guy ain't telling. Just my opinion.
Truth is, money = power. The more you are willing to spend, the faster you can go. If you do have the money and are willing to spend 5-10 grand or more on an engine, you are at the right forum site. And these guy know their stuff and can help you go Fast.
I am somewhat surprised there isn't more info on this sight for the budget minded guy. I mean, a guy that can spend 10 Thousand bucks or more on an engine Should go fast. Going fast for 1500-2500 bucks takes some ingenuity, and usually ends up being a big blue hand gernade that's fun as he!! Till it blows up.
I would advise you to use the search function near the top, and search search search, get your wallet out and hold on to your a$$ !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 AM

Oh im sure there a few budget builds but I'm sure the right head/cam combo will assist in netting me my 500whp goal, besides with nitrous I'm sure it will make help get my goal a liytle faster.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Rampage815 Driving a Ford

Tried to build on the cheap. By the time I got the block machined, crank turned and balanced, purchased bearings, gaskets had over 3 grand. By the time I had it built, dressed up and installed and almost 6 grand so going semi fast is NOT cheap !

Block $100.00
Machine Work $700.00
Dove heads $200.00
machine work heads $650.00
Crank $250.00
Cam $350.00
Pistons $325.00
new lifters $125.00
Gaskets $125.00
oil pump $ 35.00
ARP rocker studs $ 65.00
hardened pushrods $100.00
pushrod guides $ 25.00
Roller rockers $325.00
Weiand Stealth manifold $325.00
850 Holley Carb $400.00
TCI C6 $1995.00
engine dress up chrome $300.00
Headers $425.00

These items are rounded of to nearest dollar small stuff like paint, silicone and much other small stuff added in.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 PM

Damn, I was thinking a big block was gonba be the cheaper then building say a 351 with a turbo. I just know if I build my 5.0 that's in my truck it won't last to the abuse of what I want to put it through.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 PM

raland First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage815 View Post
Tried to build on the cheap. By the time I got the block machined, crank turned and balanced, purchased bearings, gaskets had over 3 grand. By the time I had it built, dressed up and installed and almost 6 grand so going semi fast is NOT cheap !

Block $100.00
Machine Work $700.00
Dove heads $200.00
machine work heads $650.00
Crank $250.00
Cam $350.00
Pistons $325.00
new lifters $125.00
Gaskets $125.00
oil pump $ 35.00
ARP rocker studs $ 65.00
hardened pushrods $100.00
pushrod guides $ 25.00
Roller rockers $325.00
Weiand Stealth manifold $325.00
850 Holley Carb $400.00
TCI C6 $1995.00
engine dress up chrome $300.00
Headers $425.00

These items are rounded of to nearest dollar small stuff like paint, silicone and much other small stuff added in.
Rampage815, curious what power numbers you made with your engine? Sounds like a strong engine.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 PM

Gmsmkr First On Race Day

Find a set of truck rods put ARP everything in it put a set of speed pro forged slugs in it with a good head , intake , cam , and carb and juice it to it keep rpms around 5500-6200 and let it be what it is

Nobody's perfect but if u drive a ford your darn close.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Rampage815 Driving a Ford

I never put it on a dyno. I used stock style pistons with the bathtub dish trying to keep the compression down to 9 1/2 to 1. The head work I had done on the DOVE heads put the chamber volume at 76 CCs. Used a Comp Cams 292H grind cam with .560 Lift exhaust and intake on 110 degree separation. I had hardened seats put in the heads and thought while doing that just go ahead and use Cobra Jet valves Don't remember exact sizes but they were larger than DOVE valves. Found out later that if I had used the PI valves they were larger yet. the crank I used was one from Mustang Depot to bring displacement up to 521. If I remember right the guy that did my machine work gave me a set of rods out of a BB chevy correct length but smaller journal sizes to use a reground crank. After I got it all together he estimated it at around 500 or so HP.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 AM

supervel45 First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Hey guys names Joe Thrasher I own an 87 ford 2wd f150 that I'm wanting to drop a 460 in. So any suggestions or advice on where to begin or what and where to purchase parts would be awesome.

On the cheap I'd like a 500whp truck with nitrous to help me get to my goal so smy advice on a sey up would be awesome!

Thanks again.
I would look for a 1972-73 engine. The old 1968-71 engines where closed chamber high compression, and will not be nitrous friendly on pump gas, and even with out nitrous you will need at least 93 octane. You can get alway with 150 shot on the old cast piston's, at least I have. If you are serious about the spray Carl has some nice flattops that will raise you compression a little with open chamber heads, or you can use the Speed Pro's. I would stay away from the Hypereutectic pistons and the nitrous. You will need to do a balance job with the forged piston's though. I would do a good valve job springs, hardened seats, and maybe upgrade to SS valves. If you go to flat tops go with the D3 heads as the D2's are more detonation prone. If you are going cast dished piston's the D2's will work, but alot of people don't like them. Paul Kane is one exception to this as whell as myself. Some parts like intakes and carbs can be had used, to save money. 500 HP with spray should not cost too much, but without it, will be more expensive no doubt. Get a good quality pre 1972 timing chain, is a must in my book. Spend money on good quality machine work, but don't go over board with what you have done, either. Decking the block if you have a 10.320" is a good idea, but some of the older blocks where 10.30", to start with. I would stay away from all the roller cams and rocker's also, if you don't want to spend alot on a build. If you can inspect an engine torn down before you buy it, or have several to chose from, you may find a nice low mileage one, and save some money that way also. If you are wanting 500 HP to the wheels witout the nitrous, a stroker kit is the way to go, but it will cost around $2k more than a 466-72. It will more than likely not be very useful for a street truck either, as traction will be a major problem, and gas mileage will not be better either. Have you checked out the 429-460 ford.com site. They have a used parts section also, if you are interested.

Last edited by supervel45; 03-10-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:33 AM

Wow all that information is so helpful with what I'm trying to do! I will look for a 72 an older block to start with an look into forged piston, also the d3 heads are what im currently on the hunt for.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 AM

70bbftorino Driving a Ford
Garage
Send a message via AIM to 70bbftorino Send a message via Yahoo to 70bbftorino

start stock piling your performance parts when you see deals on them from members, check craigslist for base engine preferably with all of the pulleys and a trans. at least if you get that locally the sale wont be plagued with shipping costs and such. guys on here are always changing combos or directions so u can save big right away and often get items with machine work done already.....sometimes even someones complete running setup for 2-4grand with numbers and build proof- good luck, have fun, save your money and buy smart items

i got my motor and trans for $200 complete and sold the cast iron stock manifolds for $75, i bought another one with a C6 and all the pulleys and brackets for $250.....stole all the front from it and sold it for $200. critical parts i bought new, headers and all kinds of other things i got for less than 50% from new catalog prices-

http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad191/70bbftorino/

Last edited by 70bbftorino; 05-08-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:13 PM

in my local area I'm only finding 460 big block from 80's to 90's Ford pickups are there anything wrong with those engines I know everyone has told me to find a pre 70s 460 but that is all I can find.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM

68montego First On Race Day

Where are you located?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Im centrally located in Boise Idaho
Old 05-11-2014, 12:51 PM

2slow Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Damn, I was thinking a big block was gonba be the cheaper then building say a 351 with a turbo. I just know if I build my 5.0 that's in my truck it won't last to the abuse of what I want to put it through.
About the abuse- grade of parts and work done equals dollars spent.
lower the grade maybe less power(within limits).

you might need several lower grade buils to last the same time frame as a good grade build.

To make the low grade last for any brand or size engine- don't abuse it

Last edited by 2slow; 05-11-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.