TOW RIG. - Page 9 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 PM

turbo2256b First On Race Day

Fooling with carb settings found with this carb diddnt need the 28 27ish initial timing setting. Dropped it down to 18 or so. The 750 vacum secondary carb never realy worked right. Purchased it from Summit found out too late to return it was purchased by someone that kept the new one and shipped back there used one for credit. So I got a POS possibly aftermarket callibrated junk.

Noticed the rear of the intake is or was leaking oil so spent most of this week resealing the intake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Before putting the carb back on changed out the IABs back to stock and reduced the IFRs from 33s to 31s. Took a bit to readjust the idle. Dropped the A/F a bit but still too rich. Going to swap the air bleeds again and see what happens. Main system still to rich also after dropping 2 jet sizes. Oil leak looks to be fixed.

Last edited by turbo2256b; 11-12-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Got the A/F leaned out a bit more mabe a bit too much under some conditions. Halled my trailer empty up north and brought back my 88 ranger. Same 10ish MPG fought both ways about 25mph winds. Guessing winter blend fuel now at the pumps could be throughing figures off a bit. My daily driver wagon is down about 3 MPG.
Bad part my 88 ranger wit habout 170 HP Pinto engine with about 3000mi since building the engine. Were it was stored someone broke out the front window removed all the lug nuts, took a rear tail light lens. A box of extra parts the battery. Removed all the lug nuts but no jack in it or my 78 150 THEY BROKE THE DRIVERS WINDOW and cracked the front window. No jack in it either. Tried to steal the radio out of the ranger but had no luck with that either.

Today I replaced the 3" to 2 1/2" pipes to 2 1/2 imco turbo mufflers with all 3" pipes to 3" Dynomax Supper Turbos. Didnt increase the noise much in some ways improved it as it dosent kackle when a bit heavy on the throttle. More just a vrooom.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 PM

mp40 Driving a Ford

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Thieves/Vandals..I haven't enough hatred for them.

Hopefully they won't be back again.

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
Old 03-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Anquia First On Race Day

A car with a small engine will not neceserely get better gas mileage then a truck when towing something heavy. In an under powered car you will be on the gas constantly. It is probably a little dangerous when the car you are towing with weighs a lot less then what you towing. A diesel will get you the best gas mileage. I would look for an older diesel truck. Check out Copart.com for a trailer. Sometimes cheap ones pop up.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anquia View Post
A car with a small engine will not neceserely get better gas mileage then a truck when towing something heavy. In an under powered car you will be on the gas constantly. It is probably a little dangerous when the car you are towing with weighs a lot less then what you towing. A diesel will get you the best gas mileage. I would look for an older diesel truck. Check out Copart.com for a trailer. Sometimes cheap ones pop up.
Think your a bit mixed up I was towing the 88 Ranger on a trailer with my dually.
Im had a diesel towing my 13000+ trailer it only got 1 MPG better than my 460. It did do a lot better than the 460 when it was empty but maintance was a lot higher got tired of the smell and the 460 isnt a daily driver.
The ranger is going to my son as he doset have a vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.