Trying to put a 460 in my mustang - Page 10 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 PM

mp40 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
add some gas,.....
I think that his machine uses flux core wire.

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 08:26 PM

mustang1967 First On Race Day

Quote:
add some gas,.....
Can't afford a gas welder and especially if I am just trying to learn and see if I want to pick up the hobby or not. Will just stick with my mig welder
Old 03-12-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp40 View Post
I think that his machine uses flux core wire.
You would be correct
Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Dman64 First On Race Day

I did most of mine with flux core and it worked fine. I did rent a tank and added gas to mine near the end as it just is easier but with that being said flux core will get the job done.

Best advice I ever got was when it sounds like bacon sizzling you have it just right. And who doesn't like bacon??

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM

Gydyup First On Race Day

Flux core works fine on the floors, where your gonna hide the weld under seam sealer etc.

If you get into quarter panel work, it will indeed work but it will near double your prep time after you weld it. Also, gas gives you a much cleaner weld, its blowing the impurities away from your weld area. With flux core you will end up with a bunch of pin holes.

Be sure your using small wire, like 25. That makes a huge diff on finishing up the surface after you weld.

Bacon Sizzling - thats it D! I use that analogy teaching folk to weld every time.

But remember, when welding 18 - 22 ga car panels your really not welding. Your tacking, and I only hit it no more than it takes to get fussion, about the time it gets glowing, is right before it blows through. I hit it, really quick, touch it with a damp rag, move to the opposite side, hit it. Like tightening the wheel on a car, move around opposities. When I do panels its not really bacon frying its more a BZZZT move BZZZT move. Then just fill in the gap until you have full coverage.
Gydup -67 Coupe, 532 Kaase P51 in prog. Jerico DR4, narrowed & mini tubbed 9 inch with 4:56 spool on CALTRACS, Shaved towers.
Grabbing gears for 38 years.

Last edited by Gydyup; 03-13-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 AM

Bigred69 First On Race Day

But remember, when welding 18 - 22 ga car panels your really not welding. Your tacking, and I only hit it no more than it takes to get fussion, about the time it gets glowing, is right before it blows through. I hit it, really quick, touch it with a damp rag, move to the opposite side, hit it. Like tightening the wheel on a car, move around opposities. When I do panels its not really bacon frying its more a BZZZT move BZZZT move. Then just fill in the gap until you have full coverage.

Exactly.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Gydyup First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred69 View Post

Exactly.
Oh, big one. Do the corners last! As you work around its going to pull/move, I leave a little extra on the corners, radius the corners too. Squares dont want to line up well.
Gydup -67 Coupe, 532 Kaase P51 in prog. Jerico DR4, narrowed & mini tubbed 9 inch with 4:56 spool on CALTRACS, Shaved towers.
Grabbing gears for 38 years.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:07 PM

Israel First On Race Day

Any progress?
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 AM

stumpy0227 First On Race Day

Hey, guys! I SUCK at figuring out these forums, except to find the right topic, and even that is rough on me, alot of times! I need serious help here, PLEASE! I a 68 Torino, Fairlane edition, and i bout an 87 460/C6 combo from a F250 truck. The engine/tranny combo only have 57,000 ORIGINAL miles on them, and I DON'T plan on going hog-wild with this, until I can afford it, and the engine starts to show some wear. I bought motor mounts (engine side) from a Mark 3 lincolon, running the 429, and left the 289 stock lowers in, as the research I've done says I can........
The big issue I am having now, is my stock 87 460 oilpan. It's front sump, and DEEP, but, that's tyhe problem! I was told this is the right pan to do this swap, but it doesn't fit. It hits the crossmember, and needs around 2-3 more inches, to go in where it needs to sit. Should I buy the correct pan, and, if so, which one do I need? OR, do I attempt to modify the pan I have, that has the drain plug at the lower rear, right where it hits? EVerything else has been thought out, planned, replanned, and fits correctly, EXCEPT the oil pan.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 AM

Israel First On Race Day

Not sure how you wound up here, delete your post and open up a new thread by hitting, " new thread"
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311
Old 03-27-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Any progress?
No progress yet I have been working way too much
Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Any progress?
Got a compressor and sand blaster and going to try stripping all the paint off so I can see what the body looks like under all that paint.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:22 PM

was also trying to look into the best way to stiffen the chassis so that I don't have to worry about the torque and HP causing the frame to flex. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.