429 install in 69 Fairlane 500 Fastback - Page 11 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 PM

68montego First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred69 View Post
Well, I am in the process of welding up my exhaust system. Got the right side done last night. Gonna get the other side sometime this week. Since I didn't have a good resource for bending my 2" pipe, I relied on Lowes for some pre bent EMT 90* elbows for some subtle bends I needed. I have a tubing bender , but it tends to flatten the pipe the more bend you need. I have a set of Flow Master exhausts that were on the car when I bought it. They looked fairly new,so they are going back on the car. The other night I had two 45's welded coming out of my manifolds, and I decided to give her a start. Holy crap, the starter barely hit the flywheel and she came alive. I haven't even hit it with a timing light yet. Haha. Hopefully have hoots this weekend when the weather clears.
Nice I remember welding my exhaust onto the manifolds. I had about a foot of exhaust when i fired that thing up and it sure was loud lol. the amount of displacement gives it a nice deep throtty exhaust tone. Are you going to put an h pipe? I actually took straight pipe and cut them at angles to make a curve and welded them back together lol. cheap i guess but maybe more impatient haha. I have 2" cherry bombs on my wagon and it sounds real good. Not loud enough for me tho not compared to my motorcycle. its impressive how fast they start up with a nice tight timing chain. my 302 and 390 took a bit to start. Im looking forward to warmer weather and the track opening soon!! Springs coming better get that car done and take her for a test drive. I wanna see a video! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Bigred69 First On Race Day

I plan on getting everything welded up then running an H pipe right behind the tranny .
Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 PM

Default Bad news

Well, guys I decided to try and fine tune the motor this evening. First issue, not matter how far I set the screws in on the carb, the motor does not stumble. It will backing the mixture screws out. Second issue, I cranked the motor this evening to set the timing. I set the base timing at 10* BTDC. The motor starts if you just touch the key. All looked ok until I saw some smoke coming from the exhaust. When I leaned over to smell the exhaust, it burned my eyes and smelled like un burnt fuel. But, when I pulled the pcv valve you can clearly see some blow by coming from the valve cover. I pulled a plug and it looked black, but smelled like un burnt fuel. It was not wet, but black. I know the blow by can only be one thing. Before I yank the motor and start tearing into it, does anyone have any ideas other than what I'm thinking it could be? I checked this motor before I installed it, and it had 150-160 lbs compression on all cylinders. No leak down performed though. We ran the motor on my shop floor a few months ago, and it didn't seem to smoke at all. But we onLy ran it for about 10 minutes with radiator and plumbing hooked up. Tonight it started smoking almost immediately, worse when you give it throttle. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

What carb is on it? Sounds very rich. I'd be looking at the carb. If it is a holley could be a blown out power valve. If the idle vacuum is low due to cam could be opening the power valve too. Floats set too high can be a problem. After you get the fueling issue fixed change the oil.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:24 AM

I also plan on checking the tranny modulated just to make sure I'm not sucking up tranny fluid. When I pull the pcv valve from the valve cover the motor idles up.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:28 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

My money is on the carb...
Old 03-29-2014, 04:06 PM

Ok, so I went out to the shop this morning and decided to crank her up again. Didn't turn over a half a turn and it fired up and purred like a new car. No smoke, no nothing. Weird I tell ya. I'm thinking maybe when I hooked up the old exhaust that were hooked up to a belching smoking POS , there may have been some residual left inside the exhausts. Don't know. Gonna run the piss out of it , and go on with body work and such.i am taking the carb to a local guy here and have him look at it though. There is no adjustment on air and fuel, so I know it's off somehow.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM

Hey guys, just want to thank all you experts for all of your help. Hahaha. It seems that I have been in the wrong forum after all. I guess unless you build $20k racing engines , all you will ever get is cricket sounds when asking questions. That with the exception of those of you guys more like us common working folks . Anyway, I think I'll just leave you guys to the more important discussions involving racing and high end motor building. I'm out
Old 03-30-2014, 01:18 AM

mp40 Driving a Ford

????????????????

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
Old 03-30-2014, 01:44 AM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

Am with DMAN as to what all happened, but sometimes you are better off with common folk...

My money still on the carb. May want to check your gas tank too for dirt and rust.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:37 PM

68montego First On Race Day

Yo whats going on with this car dude? been driving this beast yet?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 AM

butterbean First On Race Day

I think we all wanna know?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.