why stroke it? - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 AM

2slow Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboy72 View Post
Okay,
So two equally built motors with one more ccs will make the bigger cc engine more tourque and easier to handle? Tnx...PB72

Not trying to sound goofy but wondering
if the increase is worth the cost?
you asked twice about "is it worth the cost". the info was given , asking the same question means - no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Okay,
So two equally built motors with one more ccs will make the bigger cc engine more tourque and easier to handle? Tnx...PB72

"Easier to handle"...?
How far can you spin the tires and still go straight, LOL.

EDIT: We are not talking about 4 cylinder sport compact engines on this forum; you might be in the wrong place.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting

Last edited by rmcomprandy; 04-04-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 PM

DeepRoots First On Race Day

What I mean by "easier to handle"
means....

Build a 500hp 429 vs a 500hp 521. See which one is 'easier to handle' in traffic.

Mind you this is an incredibly simplistic comment not factoring 6000 variables.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:30 PM

CarsByCarl Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepRoots View Post
means....

Build a 500hp 429 vs a 500hp 521. See which one is 'easier to handle' in traffic.

Depends on the car/truck and how it's set up.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM

raland First On Race Day

Quote:
Okay,

I don't think it is a goofy question at all PB72, in fact I believe it a good question. Some of the guys on here have big $$$ to play with and don't understand why someone would want to weigh the options of increased CID. vs hp/tq vs cost. I mean hell if money is no object, why even use a stock block, right?
Many guys don't have or want to spend $10,000 plus on an engine to run on the street and strip a little and do some jack rabbit starts at a green light, and have some guy with a $3500 dollar motor blow yaa f!!kin doors off and laugh at yaa' There was a guy on here just a couple weeks ago who had been convinced to stroke it and poke it, sounded like he had 10 grand or more in his engine combo (awesome parts) and was disappointed when told his engine should make around 500-550 streetable hp.
Once again I believe it all boils down to budget. Theres 2 different type guys on here. 1 type is like myself, I don't consider myself as poverty stricken but for me spending 10 grand or more on an engine is a big friggin deal! The second type has money to burn, and for them spending 10 grand on an engine ,well that's just chump change. Now I don't mean to disrespect the well off guys at all because they are the fastest of them all! But I too wonder, If the same build was used except one was say a 40 over 460, the other was a 545 (same cam, heads, exhaust, carb and so on) ,what would be the hp/tq differences in the two? I believe post #3 and #5 has been very helpful in your question pb72. I also get what 2slow means, if we gotta ask what it cost ,we probably cant afford it.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM

RmK57 First On Race Day

If your totaling rebuilding a 460 it doesn't make any sense not to stroke it. The difference may be about $400-600 on the new crank and better rods. Everything else is a wash, balancing, block prep, bearings, pistons, rings, gaskets,........
Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 PM

DeepRoots First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
Depends on the car/truck and how it's set up.
that is why I said:
Lotta ways to skin the cat, but you know this far better than I.

Seems the years I've watched people building engines/cars on these forums, the one issue I've seen the most is folks not having a realistic end goal in mind.

Figure out what you REALLY want and make that happen.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 PM

Ranchopower First On Race Day
Send a message via Yahoo to Ranchopower
Red face Why stroke? LOL!

I wish I could of posted first LOL! more TRQ at idle! you need any more convincing than that?

well maybe you may be the rare breed of 600ci in a Pinto wheel based Pinto kinda drivers.

I apologize in advance for not reading the 2 pages of post , I read the title got excited and and posted. oh and the spam verification I have to listen to for an answer, Applebee's is not "better for Lunch" Answer, I had to type in... they actually suck on my end, make you sick I'm laughing right now and I should be pissed, but hey I just say it like I saw it.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM

phatboy72 First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by raland View Post
I don't think it is a goofy question at all PB72, in fact I believe it a good question. Some of the guys on here have big $$$ to play with and don't understand why someone would want to weigh the options of increased CID. vs hp/tq vs cost. I mean hell if money is no object, why even use a stock block, right?
Many guys don't have or want to spend $10,000 plus on an engine to run on the street and strip a little and do some jack rabbit starts at a green light, and have some guy with a $3500 dollar motor blow yaa f!!kin doors off and laugh at yaa' There was a guy on here just a couple weeks ago who had been convinced to stroke it and poke it, sounded like he had 10 grand or more in his engine combo (awesome parts) and was disappointed when told his engine should make around 500-550 streetable hp.
Once again I believe it all boils down to budget. Theres 2 different type guys on here. 1 type is like myself, I don't consider myself as poverty stricken but for me spending 10 grand or more on an engine is a big friggin deal! The second type has money to burn, and for them spending 10 grand on an engine ,well that's just chump change. Now I don't mean to disrespect the well off guys at all because they are the fastest of them all! But I too wonder, If the same build was used except one was say a 40 over 460, the other was a 545 (same cam, heads, exhaust, carb and so on) ,what would be the hp/tq differences in the two? I believe post #3 and #5 has been very helpful in your question pb72. I also get what 2slow means, if we gotta ask what it cost ,we probably cant afford it.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I really wasn't trying to ask the same question but wasn't clear on the answers. I'm new to the Bbf and fords in general. My last project was a old rat rod that was gonna be drivin by my son to his graduation next year.
After paying a chunk down on money I not only Basically took a beating from the builder with my cash gone and tons of excuses why my cars not being built but our son had an
Accident and ended up passing away
So I wanna build this once and right so maybe by next year his sisters and brothers can drive it in his place to what woulda been his graduation.
So again I'm sorry if I sound out there on my questions but I cant afford to second guess myself.
Thanks again...I do appreciate it.. Pb72
Old 04-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Dave D Driving a Ford

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply. I really wasn't trying to ask the same question but wasn't clear on the answers. I'm new to the Bbf and fords in general. My last project was a old rat rod that was gonna be drivin by my son to his graduation next year.
After paying a chunk down on money I not only Basically took a beating from the builder with my cash gone and tons of excuses why my cars not being built but our son had an
So I wanna build this once and right so maybe by next year his sisters and brothers can drive it in his place to what woulda been his graduation.
So again I'm sorry if I sound out there on my questions but I cant afford to second guess myself.
To Pb72,
I am so sorry about your son's death my son also died from a car crash and I feel some of your pain but also live it daily even thou I'm over 4 years beyond my son Kevins death. For you to be doing this project so soon is a great undertaking but it can also help in your grief work. I cant believe how similar we are that I bought a Pro-Street roller and built a 547 a year after. I would like to hear about your son and we can talk about motors to. If you're up for it pm your phone number to me and the best time to call.
Dave

70 Torino 521
11.5@119

BF Evans Race Parts
Old 04-05-2014, 05:06 PM

2slow Driving a Ford

Quote:
IMO , I would built the engines power to the level of your kids driving experience.

Lower cost to build a warmed over stocker and upgrades if wanted in the future..

Oh, also helps if they get involved in the whole car build
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 PM

raland First On Race Day

Quote:
. I want to let you know I am also sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I haven't been there, so I won't say I know how you feel. A couple close friends of mine lost a child, seeing their pain still tares me up at times, so I do feel for you PB72. I wish you the best and if I can help let me know.
On your original question if stroking is worth the extra bucks. As I said before, I guess it depends a lot on budget. If a guy is going to do slight street build up and use factory crank, rods and economy pistons, in that instance I doubt the added cubes would out weigh the cost. On the other hand if a guy is gonna buy a $7or800. buck set of pistons, new H or I beam rods, rework old crank or buy new one, the cost will be so close to stroking it. So I think I would let my budget be my guide, if one can afford it go for it.
But the larger Cid engine would really need better/bigger or reworked heads, better/bigger carb,intake and exhaust, probably custom cam, to take full advantage of the extra cubes. In this way I believe many get in over their head and end up spending way more than they originally intended.
I myself have been working, saving, planing my build for well over 30 years, finally got my ducks in a row and ready to build big. Well, sh!t happens. I now realize other things in my life need attention more than I need an 800 + HP engine. Gonna downsize a bit and still make the build and take care of some problems at the same time. That's why I now use the word budget so often.
Again, I wish you the best pb72 ,what ever direction your build goes I hope it all works well for you.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

You know it is so much easier (most of the time) to deal with someone who is building something for racing. You know the goal and maybe a rule book to refer to.

Street stuff is all over the map and usually have to pull details out of the customer and at the same time educate them. I don't think most understand what you can do with 400 hp in a 3,000 lb. car. It is more than most can use on the street.

I tend to think most be served well with a good used engine with addition of a cam, intake, carb., ignition, and headers. Add a mild stall converter and some gear and you are set. A little lope in the idle, and enough power to put you back in the seat some is what most really want. Not putting a ton of money in it and being done and driving it something to be said for that.

I have over the years seen a lot of time and money spent, many times to be different, special, or have the meanest piece in town. Many times ends in frustration. You really have to be a hard core type of guy or spend a lot of money to have someone else do it for you.

A 460 can be a lot of fun fairly easily.

In closing I was thinking of that '32 Ford Coupe from American Graffiti. Man that was one "bitchin" ride. Has the look, sound, stance. Got to wondering how fast it was. Has a 327 and should be light so at least 12's... no try 14's and for many is all you need (but BBF will be faster!).

Old 04-06-2014, 01:11 AM

Gmsmkr First On Race Day

The way I see it if your going to spend hard earned money on a start from scratch build get all you can get. ( what your pocket can handle )

Not everybody wants a 600+ hp motor they just think they do.

Nobody's perfect but if u drive a ford your darn close.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:19 PM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepRoots View Post
means....

Again, "Easier to handle" given your examples ... when the bigger engine spins the tires at 50 mph when you're simply trying to pass someone on a two lane highway and you go sideways when you step into it, you will wish you had LESS torque.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.