OH Shiite!!!!!!! - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM

butterbean First On Race Day
Default OH Shiite!!!!!!!

well as most of you know I baught steve4570's old car last year and have been working on getting a motor and tranny in it and to the track, well I changed so much stuff around and have been unemployed for a while now its taken this long to get it going, long story short I drove it around yesterday getting on it and checking all the stuff like stall, trans brake, shifting and all is good, I ran 10 gallons of fuel through it while testing taking a few breaks inbetween, checking the fluids adjusting timing and carb, while getting ready to put it up for the night I though I would make a hard pass down the road, I don't have any neighbors so its no problem and my road is a dead end about 1.5 miles long, so I put on the trans brake and let it eat man that 429 runs as good as my 455 Buick did running it through all the gears then I hit the brakes pretty hard to stop and the pedal made a loud POP and went to the floor good thing my road is a dead end and 1.5 miles long because I had no brakes and I was going 100 or better, got it stopped and opened the hood to take a look and the master cyl is hanging off the block that bolts to the firewall, it snapped the studs off, I got it back home and took it apart and the studs that hold the M/C to the aluminum block that bolts to the friewall were broke off clean, well as y'all know I'm new to the ford/fox bodies so I don't know the name of that block but if anybody has these on there fox bodied cars maybe you should check the studs, I put grade 8 bolts back in it and all is ok, but I'm really impressed in how good my little 429 runs, I can't wait to get it to the track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 12:16 PM

DeepRoots First On Race Day

holy crap. Good thing you are safe....
all you can do is drop a gear and hang on. musta been a wild ride!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

That's one of them times when you reach back into the sleeper and wake up Amos.......'cause he ain't never seen an accident like we're fixin' 'ta have!
Gotta love them parachutes! lol
Glad to see you're OK!
Rob
Old 04-08-2014, 03:46 PM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

Ahhh yes.... Stupid sh!t always keeps things interesting!! Glad nothing bad happened. Too bad you didn't get a video!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:05 PM

thanks guys, a video would have been funny as shiite, arms reaching, foot pushing, gear grabbin, I'm glad the C-6 down shifts and I had plenty of road, you know steve just built that car about 2 to 3 years ago so that brake block should not have studs that failed??? what do y'all think???
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean View Post
thanks guys, a video would have been funny as shiite, arms reaching, foot pushing, gear grabbin, I'm glad the C-6 down shifts and I had plenty of road, you know steve just built that car about 2 to 3 years ago so that brake block should not have studs that failed??? what do y'all think???
Definitely should not have failied. I'm thinking there was some other contributing factor.

It sounds like this is a manual master cylinder conversion. Is this the case? If so I may have an answer for you. Or at least an idea as to why.

One stud breaking? Yeah...OK that is a fluke. But both? Something else was going on there. Or at least I think so.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:23 PM

yes its a manual brake conversion???? its a block with 4 studs going through the fire wall and 2 going through the M/C and it looks to be aluminum and its blue in color
Old 04-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Gmsmkr First On Race Day

Sure glad you are ok and got her stopped. my manual brake block came with grade 3 or 5 bolts. I also put grade 8 bolts in mine get a vid of your car running and send it to me I been dying to hear that thing. I think we are going to come down to the beach house this summer and stay a couple of weeks. I will have to load my car up and we go racing some where

Nobody's perfect but if u drive a ford your darn close.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:59 PM

yes bring her down to the beach house??? it sounds good for a 429 I guess I put a erson soild roller in it with a dommy on a old offy intake and man it f@#kin runs strong I can't get over it, I bet it will run 6.70's or 6.80's in that bird and its just a bunch of old used parts
Old 04-08-2014, 06:01 PM

Gmsmkr First On Race Day

Sounds like she is moving on good did you end up with the glide or running the c6

Nobody's perfect but if u drive a ford your darn close.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Do you know if the rod that goes into the back of the master cylinder was relocated where it attaches to the brake pedal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.