Fuel injected 1990, 460 questions - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:27 PM

danev2 Driving a Ford
Default Fuel injected 1990, 460 questions

I have an opportunity to buy a complete 90 F250 with a fuel injected 460, for $150.
The truck body is wrecked but the engine is a good healthy runner
The plan is to pull the complete engine, wiring, computer etc. and install it in my 78 4x4 frame with the 66 body on top. I am hoping that it will be a good powerful runner, with reasonable mileage and year-round reliability.
I do have several questions:
1. Are the fuel injection systems reliable for this year?
2. Since the truck is titled as a 66 emissions is a non issue, can I delete the catalytic conv., air pump and EGR without sending the computer into a tizzy?
3. If I can remove or disable items in #2. how much will this help mileage and power, if at all?
4. Can the computer be reprogrammed "chipped"?
5. Are these motors traditional hyd. Lifter or roller like the 5.0's, Can I put earlier heads like D0VE's on to up compression? Maybe a cam swap?
6. do these engines have the retarded timing chains like the 70's 460?

thanks for answers/info..
Dane V
www.fordautowrecking.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 03:22 PM

ByronRACE Driving a Ford
Default Re: Fuel injected 1990, 460 questions

1. Are the fuel injection systems reliable for this year?

Yes, Ford EEC-IV's are quite reliable. That year is batch-fire and speed density. Not optimal for mileage, and not modification-friendly...but if you stick with near-stock airflow, it'll run like a clock.

2. Since the truck is titled as a 66 emissions is a non issue, can I delete the catalytic conv., air pump and EGR without sending the computer into a tizzy?

Cats, yes...remove.

Removal of the thermactor control valve will cause the MIL to illuminate, but has no effect on operation of the engine. Same is true for EGR.

3. If I can remove or disable items in #2. how much will this help mileage and power, if at all?

Removing EGR will hurt mileage by about 5-8% leaving it on has no ill effects in regard to power. The rest has little/no effect on mileage, and removal of the cat will help power.

4. Can the computer be reprogrammed "chipped"?

Yes.

5. Are these motors traditional hyd. Lifter or roller like the 5.0's, Can I put earlier heads like D0VE's on to up compression? Maybe a cam swap?

Not roller.

I wouldn't. modify cam or heads..the PCM likely will not run properly with bumpy vacuum and/or changes in airflow; you'll probably get into a tuning problem, and may have a real problem getting it to behave if the vacuum bounces around. The primary input a speed density system uses to calculate fueling is the MAP signal. Ford expects the engine vacuum to be relatively stable; giving it a bouncy input on MAP may yield some difficulties.

If you want to use Ford OEM EFI in the truck and are running a non-computer controlled transmission, just put 5.0L HO EFI on it and get a chip to change the engine displacement, firing sequence, and whatever else you need. This solution is modification friendly, well explored, and only limited by rpm (7500) and max injector size (60lb/hr; 800ish hp).
Old 09-19-2006, 10:25 AM

danev2 Driving a Ford
Default 90 F250 FI 460

Hmmm
These are great answers, thanks!
On the last paragraph
" If you want to use Ford OEM EFI in the truck and are running a non-computer controlled transmission, just put 5.0L HO EFI on it and get a chip to change the engine displacement, firing sequence, and whatever else you need. This solution is modification friendly, well explored, and only limited by rpm (7500) and max injector size (60lb/hr; 800ish hp)."

So what you are saying is :
taking the top induction setup and wiring/computer from say a 96 mustang or one of the lincoln 5.0's I could literally bolt all that on to the top of the 460?
Do I need a different lower plenum for the 460?
I will need reprogrammed computer, and correct flow rate injectors
Could it really be that easy?

the gears are whirring, drives engaging, ideas are forming......
I have a buddy with a 1996 302 FI all complete. He's been bugging me about buying it for $200. I've kept turning it down simply because I don't need another (9th) engine lined up against thhe shop wall. and I didn't have anything to put it in....
Maybe I do now..
Old 09-19-2006, 09:19 PM

68xr7cat Driving a Ford

Hi Dan,

What Byron is saying is use the ECM (the "compuer or "black box" if you will) from a mustang.

You don't change any of the engine hardware. You just have to adapt the ECM (if the connector is different) to the wiring harness and add a mass air sensor.

If you have an automatic (E40D) it likely will be computer controlled. If you use the ECM from the Mustang you cannot control the transmission, although there are other solutions to that problem. If you are using a manual tranmission or a C-6 this is not an issue.

-Steve
Old 09-20-2006, 01:19 AM

ByronRACE Driving a Ford
Default Missing post

I don't know what happened, but I wrote a reply to this early today and it's gone.

Anyway, you should visit www.fordfuelinjection.com and read...there's a lot of info there, and it's also a great source of parts.

And, you should get the EEC book by Charles O Probst. The one that covers 1988 and later EEC-IV. That's also a good read.

In summary, you take the truck EFI hardware (intake manifold, throttle body, etc) and put a stripped down 5.0 SEFI mustang mass-air wiring harness on it. You plug in a Mustang processor. You plug in a chip that fixes the injector firing sequence, the lack of smog equipment, the new injector size, new mass-air meter calibration, engine displacement, spark/fuel curves, etc...and you're off and running.

If you want to tune it yourself, buy a tweecer. http://www.tweecer.com

I'm here for questions if you want to ask any...I've done quite a few of these things.

Byron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.