1990 f250 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:14 PM

fox429 Driving a Ford
Default 1990 f250

i have a friend with a f250 and i dont have an answer for him about the tranny. it has a 460 with fuel injection and an E4OD trans. what other options does he have for a trans? can he convert to a c6 and still have FI or does he have to change abunch of things. will the FI still work without all the electronics hooked up to the trans? any ideas are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 06:00 PM
429cougar

thats not electric overdrive i think the 4r100 is the one with the electric overdrive.all the plugs and stuff you see are for the speedo and the reverse lights and so on and so forth>
Old 10-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Forum Contributor

Greg_P Driving a Ford

Wrong, the E4OD is in fact a totally electronic transmission.

I am sure there are guys here that know the answer to your question, but you may try over at the Ford transmission forum.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/

What is wrong with the tranny now?

Greg
Old 10-01-2006, 10:31 PM

strokedmyford Driving a Ford

it is possible to convert to c6, I have seen them in f250's up until 95.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:56 AM
429cougar

k my bad my sorce was a retard sorry for the misinfo
Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 AM

loganwildman Driving a Ford
Default re 90 F250

When I was exploring options for my 90 F250, I was going the other way, switching to a carbed 460 and wanted to keep the e4od. However my research lead me to believe that either way I went I was looking at computer mods. In your case it might be a new chip so that the computer isn't looking for input from the tranny.
2001 International 4700 Hauler
1987 Ford F250 460+ powered toy
Check us out at;
www.horsinaroundpulling.com
Old 10-02-2006, 04:39 PM

Alcatraz95 Driving a Ford

You can switch to the C6 but why would you want to? The E4OD is basically a C6 w/ an overdrive. Built correctly, they are strong transmissions. If you're friend is dead set on a C6, he needs to get the computer from a similar year truck w/ a standard. Then he'll need the kick-down linkage from a mid 80s to early 90s F250 or F350. It probably wouldn't hurt to get the shifter cable from the donor truck as well.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:38 PM

ByronRACE Driving a Ford
Default E4OD

The early E40Ds had problems that have all been remedied. Contact ATO transmission in Sacramento if you want a source for an E4OD that can take punishment. I can point to several Gen 1 Lightning trucks in the 9's and 10's on modified E4OD transmissions. Reason for going away from the E4OD is cost mostly...they aren't cheap.

That said, if you unplug the transmission harness from the EEC harness on that truck, you'll get a check engine light (probably) for transmission output temp, as well as missing solenoids. Depending on the year, the possible malfunction tests vary. Some of the very early trucks had no malfunction tests for transmission related failures so you might get lucky. In any case, you can buy a custom chip from any number of tuning houses to change the transmission type to manual trans. Or, if that particular year truck ever was sold with a manual trans, I'd be willing to bet you could drop in a manual trans computer and solve the problem that way as well.

The other thing to look at is where the truck gets its speedometer information. I believe that year used a speed sensor on the differential housing; but I could be wrong. If you want the speedometer to work, you should think about that in advance.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:49 PM

1st.time.ford Driving a Ford
Default Need tranny info on 1990 F250 - thx

Thanks everyone for the answers... I am the one with the F250 tranny problems my friend fox460 was speaking of... I am back online... Heres the scoop. I bought a cheap F250 2wd, good EFI 460 motor - but tranny either growls and wants to jump out of its case or wont do anything -depending on the day... So far the Electronic trannys I have found are big $$. Spent less than $500 on whole truck... was looking for cheap fix to build hunting rig... but dont want to be stranded by a picky computer up in the woods that wont read the C6... any input is highly welcomed... (note-will trade a complete 70's 460 rebuildable engine w/D0VE-C heads for a electronic tranny for that F250 2wd- any takes - live North of Seattle. WA area)
Old 10-02-2006, 06:23 PM

ByronRACE Driving a Ford
Default Cheap fix.

Go find another E4OD from a 1995 460 truck or van and swap it in.

Multiple improvements in the 1995 boxes.

With stock power levels, should last forever.

Example; http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/212751724.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.