Fuel Injection for a 75' Lincoln - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:29 PM

Todd H Driving a Ford
Default Fuel Injection for a 75' Lincoln

I have a project car, 75' Lincoln Cont. I want to swap over to fuel injection from the carb. Is this doable? I was thinking about finding a late model motor and just swap it for what's in the car now. Comments? Thanks Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 05:59 PM

ByronRACE Driving a Ford
Default Sure.

The easiest way that comes to mind would be to pull a processor and harness out of a 1988-1993 Mustang 5.0. You'd need to add injectors and rails to your carb intake and add an EFI elbow, idle-air valve, and throttle body. You'd pick injectors and the mass air meter to meet your fueling requirements, and put together a fuel system. Then, you'd buy a Tweecer or a chip to tune it.

You could convert the whole thing for probably $1500 if you do the work yourself and source the parts from boneyards and it'd run like factory.

If you want to use aftermarket EFI, look into megasquirt, bigstuff, and FAST. Look at Mass-Flow too; but that's basically OEM Ford as suggested above...you can do it far cheaper on your own.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:01 AM

ZX3Focus Driving a Ford
Default EFI

That boat has a 460 in it. Use the hardware from a 87 or newer F-250, E-250...wiring, processor, aftermarket fuel pump, weld a couple of bungs in the exhaust for O2 sensors. You should be able to swap out the motor...just not sure about the balance...internal vs. external. Try to find a wrecked or salvagable donor....
Old 12-02-2006, 01:19 AM

ScottJackson Driving a Ford

ZX3 is trying to help and that's appreciated... but, the stock efi 460 setup won't allow you to run a cam of any size as it's speed density unlike the mass air setup of the mustang efi. Also, the factory efi 460 intake, with upper plenum, is very tall and wouldn't come close to fitting under the hood of a continental (it's ports are configured for EFI heads too, which are different). I'm with Byron on this one, use the mustang EFI and adapt it over or go with Megasquirt. I don't know 1/20th as much as Byron when it comes to EFI, so listen to him and he'll point you in the best direction.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:41 PM

Todd H Driving a Ford

Ok, I'm a little confused, So what machine work would be needed to adapt the later Mustang FI system to my intake? I'm a machinst by trade so that part doesn't scare me. Is the Mustang system a true bolt on or not? Thanks for the advice. TH
Old 12-04-2006, 05:01 PM

ByronRACE Driving a Ford
Default Bolt-on.

The 1988 460 truck EFI distributor is a bolt-on.

The 1988-1993 Mustang 5.0L harness (or the aftermarket harnesses) is a bolt-on, with deletions because it contains a lot of stuff you won't need/use. The computer (PCM) is also a bolt-on.

The intake manifold will be a carb manifold with injector bung modifications and an aftermarket intake elbow/throttle body bolted up top where the carburetor used to sit.

Look at my stuff. http://www.racesystems.com/cobra

Fuel rails can come from Probe Industries or anyone else that makes retrofit rails for 460 Carbureted manifolds, or you can buy fuel rail stock and machine it yourself.

Air meter (tells the computer how much air mass is entering the engine) comes from a variety of places depending on the power you're going to make.

Fuel injectors come from a variety of sources again depending on the build and power level.

Sensors come from Ford.

Fuel pump comes from a variety of places, like Weldon Racing, etc...depending on your goal/needs.

Lastly, you buy a tweecer. www.tweecer.com to reprogram the computer for your engine displacement, injector size, injector firing sequence, and whatever else you need.

Basically, just pretend it's a big 5.0L Ford, plug it all together, and tune it with the Tweecer. And if you need a part, the Ford dealer has them.

Take a look at this for rails and bungs...and the required manifold mods.
http://www.force-efi.com/machefi.htm

The intake elbow you choose must clear the hood, flow enough, and have provision for a Ford IAC valve. I made my own. Are you a CNC machinist? I designed mine in Solidworks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.