460 vs 454 & Cummins! - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Non-Tech Topics > Chilly's Garage

Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 PM

Broncman Driving a Ford
Default 460 vs 454 & Cummins!

2 of my 4 wheeling buddies have been ragging me for building a Ford, and an old 79 "junker" at that. Big camping wheeling trip this weekend.

I had a Polaris 500 4WD 4 wheeler, a Yamaha WR450F, 2 full tanks of gas and all the camping gear in the bed, My 5000lb rock crawling rig and a 200 Yamaha 4wheeler on my trailer... loaded to the gills 8)

Dodge (07 cummins,stock) guy has one jeep on his trailer and that was it. He got me on take off, BUT 60-75MPH I could walk off from him anytime I wanted! Small hills in East Tennesee. After we got out of the trucks, he just shook his head and wouldn't talk about it :lol: :lol:

On the way back, the 454 chevy guy who just built his motor for towing the same time I did, Talked crap ALL WEEK! He could not keep up on the hills with either the Dodge or the 460!

I had more fun towing than I had camping

Now I got to start rebuilding a stronger C-6, I could make second gear "slip" if I floored it with the column in 2. Will not do it in 1 or 3....

Oh yea, 10 mpg with a 600 holley vs 7.5 mpg with 770 Holley!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Maverick Driving a Ford

These days, mileage is king, so I won't argue the carb choice......but I bet that thing is wheezing at high revs. By the way, don't be too hard on your buddies. I'm sure they're quietly looking for ways to outpull your rig.
Sounds like they have a ways to go, though. 8)
Old 05-29-2007, 04:21 PM

Broncman Driving a Ford

I have not ran it past 4000 rpm while pulling so you can not tell a lot of difference except some really steep hills. I finally upped the reve limiter from 4200 to 5200 about a week before I swapped carbs. It was a blast to drive!

I did not expect to give the Dodge a tuff time, but the Chevy.... I had a spy in his camp! When he built his motor, I played real dumb and a mutual friend gave me his cam specs, intake info, head info, so I knew what to build to outdo him 8) He used a smaller cam in both lift and duration, bonestock heads, and dual plane intake. He kept saying that the 454 heads were so much better than my junk iron Ford heads. So I did all the work needed on the D3's and had Scotty do my cam and valvetrain.
He even left the factory manifolds on and claimed they were still better than my "factory" heads with headers.

Another buddy has a tweaked PS that I have drove, I know I can't beat him under 85 MPH...
Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 PM

shawnlee Driving a Ford

I do not know if its the electronics....,but my 89 460 truck likes a load.The more weight or the bigger the traier behind it ,the more it seems to want to pull.
I can beat hondas off the line with a car trailer and 3000 lbs on the trailer :lol:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.