Gimme some vapor lock fixes - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:20 AM

Phil Driving a Ford
Default Gimme some vapor lock fixes

I added a PVC 1/4" carb spacer and wrapped the hardline with rubber line.

No time to test drive today but Ill add stuff if you guys have anymore EZ ideas.

My heat riser is not blocked off (evertime I try to block one off I have problems with il leaks) and I am keeping my stock airlid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 08:25 AM

Ford428CJ Driving a Ford

An electric fuel pump will do the trick. It has for me in the past! JMHO
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
2001 Polaris 500 SP
Old 10-07-2007, 09:05 AM

cletus66 Driving a Ford
Default I had a problem..

I had a problem when my fuel line in the back was too close to the exhaust. Drove on the street fine for months with no problems, and the first time I took it to the track , it crapped out on the starting line because of idling so long in the staging lanes. ops: Rerouted the line, and never had another problem with that one. That was a stock mechanical pump and about 15 years ago.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
Old 10-07-2007, 03:45 PM

FE_rex Driving a Ford

Get an electric fuel pump and a regulator near the carb. Put the fuel pump near the tank.

Problem will be solved.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:49 PM

Fordguy545 Driving a Ford

Ummm, I think I was having this problem at the track yesterday also, and I have the electric pump near the tank(prostar500) to the regulator mounted off the carb studs. Could it be not running enough pressure into the carb?? The cheap mechanical gauge says 3psi but the electric autometer says 6 3/4psi. I have been having this problem for quite some time, and havent been able to figure out why it does it, until somebody asked if it was vaporlock yesterday :shock:
Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Forum Contributor

Greg_P Driving a Ford
Default Re: Gimme some vapor lock fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
I added a PVC 1/4" carb spacer and wrapped the hardline with rubber line.

No time to test drive today but Ill add stuff if you guys have anymore EZ ideas.

My heat riser is not blocked off (evertime I try to block one off I have problems with il leaks) and I am keeping my stock airlid
What's your fuel pressure doing? Be sure you have a problem before you implement a "solution".

Greg
Old 10-11-2007, 07:59 AM

LivermoreDave Driving a Ford
Default $

Greg is heading you in the correct direction. "Vapor lock" exist when the fuel in the fuel line is heated to a point that it creates a pressure greater than the supply pressure. As others have mentioned, check fuel line routing and fuel pressure.

Can you say, "fuel stall".

Dave.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 AM

kim Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy545
Ummm, I think I was having this problem at the track yesterday also, and I have the electric pump near the tank(prostar500) to the regulator mounted off the carb studs. Could it be not running enough pressure into the carb?? The cheap mechanical gauge says 3psi but the electric autometer says 6 3/4psi. I have been having this problem for quite some time, and havent been able to figure out why it does it, until somebody asked if it was vaporlock yesterday :shock:
Unless the mechanical pump is failing to a point where the engine vacume is pulling the fuel faster than the pump can supply it, its not vapor lock.

Could simply be lack of delivery. (ie not enough pump) and the engine is going lean.

Vapor lock, is a function of diaphram (mechanical) pumps sucking the fuel from a fuel tank, if the fuel is too warm, from either atmospheric temps, or close proximity to a heat source (brakes or exhaust) when the pump tries to "suck" the fuel forward, instead of flowing as a liquid it flashes to vapors, and of course we cant/don't want to meter vapor gas, the carbs need liquid flow. So long as you continue to attempt to "suck" the gas forward, it continues to flash to vapor.

Thats why rear mounted electric pumps were implimented, to prevent vaporlock problems. AS you apply pressure from the source, fuel is compressed versus sucked, and is unlikly (wont) flash to vapor in the fuel line.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 PM

jrocco Driving a Ford

I have a friend with a 70 Mach 1 and on our last cruise he had similar problems. Car would run and then not start after sitting for 15 munites or so. Also he noticed some performance problems while running.

Fuel Filter was clear. Blew back the line to the tank. So we thought Vapor Lock ????? We started it on ether and continued on.

Later that day it happened again so I pulled the fuel line from the carb and stuck it in a bottle while cranking the engine. Hardly any fuel after several cranks.

So we replaced the fuel pump and it ran fine from then on. My guess is that the valves in the pump were failing.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFordTorinoClub/
Old 10-13-2007, 04:02 AM

cdeal28078 Driving a Ford

Took my 71 f100 460 To Atlanta from Charlotte to pick up a car last year. While on the interstate the truck would start acting like it was running out of gas. Start bucking and backfiring until it would finally quit. I could crack the gas line open a bit and hear pressure coming out before the fuel would. It would run fine for about 15 miles before starting all over again. The clear filter would show almost no gas until I opened the fuel line and let the pressure out then it would fill up again.
I had a long way to go so I stopped and put on an electric pump right at the bottom of the tank. It was made for a carb so the pressure was supposed to be right. I could then go about twice as far before it would act up again.
I left the open air filter off the carb and it would go even further before acting up.
I never had any problems before but usually stay alot closer to home.
Later I added a phenolic spacer under the carb. Closed off the heat port under the carb and re-routed my fuel line.
It doesn't do it anymore unless it is very hot out and I am idleing a very long time.
Is this vapor lock, fuel percolation in the carb or are they the same thing.
I once made my own Baltic Birtch carb spacer for a 351w and felt like it kept the carb alot cooler. I think I will try that again.,
clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.