1991/1993 ford 460 EFI - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 AM

manyhorses1979 Driving a Ford
Default 1991/1993 ford 460 EFI

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and want to get some accurate information on an engine I currently have in my possession. It is a 1991 (possibly a 1993) ford 460 EFI out of a 1991 ford 350 super duty duelly that was used by a commercial roofing company to pull a tar kettle trailer. I have the maintenance records, wiring harness, computer, serpantine system with a/c compressor and all mounts, accessories, manifolds and such. I still have access to the truck for misc. parts if needed. The motor has been partially dissasembled to inspect lifter galleys, oil pan and manifolds and the motor is very clean.
That's the history, now let me tell you its future. I want to put it in my 1979 Ford Bronco. I am on the fence on using the EFI. I am favoring using a carb due to the fact I work on EFI vehicles all day long and they can be a major pain to diag tricky problems when installed in the proper vehicle much less a vehicle that never had a factory EFI. I have found a carb to EFI manifold adapter and all the motor mounts to bolt it into my truck but I have been told I won't be happy with the results. I learned that the heads, intake and exhaust are different between Carb'd engines and EFI engines, so I toyed with the idea of using cobra jet heads or the DOVE heads so I can use a carb'd intake designed to work properly. Will the accessory bracket bolt holes match up between the carb'd heads and EFI heads?
I would like as much usable horsepower as possible, reliability and minimule problems and with the volume of information out there someone has been in my shoes already I'm sure.
Thank in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM

dbu8554 Driving a Ford

Id go with EFi as far as the swap, should be the same as any 5.0 EFI swap just with a bigger engine, really should not be hard at all, I have not done it, as far as being reliable fords EFI system is pretty nice I think and works well without any problems I would go with it.

Yeah heads and intake are different how much power you plan on making a stock EFI setup should be quite nice in your bronco.

As far as you being comfortable with EFI I would think that it would help make this swap even easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.