How do you test an MSD blaster 2 coil - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:32 PM

64galaxie514 Driving a Ford
Default How do you test an MSD blaster 2 coil

I've looked high and low, anyone know how to test the blaster 2 coil? What settings on the ohm meter do I need per step, and if anyone has the range of numbers per test, primary and secondary that'd be great. Just wanting to see if my coil went for a poop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 PM

DaveMcLain Driving a Ford

Since the coil is an inductor I'm not so sure that "ohming it out" would tell you a whole lot. The best thing to do would be to run it on a coil tester and or scope to see what the pattern looks like when making spark. Many times you'll see a coil make a spark but the pattern doesn't look good(doesn't have a lot of healthy oscillation showing on the scope) which is needed to fire the plug properly.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM

ricer Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64galaxie514 View Post
I've looked high and low, anyone know how to test the blaster 2 coil? What settings on the ohm meter do I need per step, and if anyone has the range of numbers per test, primary and secondary that'd be great. Just wanting to see if my coil went for a poop!
I had an ignition issue (wound up being a bad 6al box) here is what MSD tech told me to do to check my Blaster 2

"To test your Blaster 2 coil you can check the Primary and Secondary resistance with a volt meter. Your primary resistance that is measured across the positive of the coil and you should get a reading of .7 ohms. The secondary resistance between the negitive coil and the center of the tower should be 4.7k ohms. You should also check and make sure that the coil bracket is SNUG not TIGHT. check theses few thing and it will let you know if the coil is good or bad."
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Thanks guys, ricer, I think my problem is the same as yours after reading your thread. I checked the coil earlier and got a reading of 4.8 or 4.7 as mentioned. I think the problem is getting juice to the coil. Finding out my brother has a spark tester, we'll see if there is actually spark on the weekend.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:56 PM

ricer Driving a Ford

Quote:
Thanks guys, ricer, I think my problem is the same as yours after reading your thread. I checked the coil earlier and got a reading of 4.8 or 4.7 as mentioned. I think the problem is getting juice to the coil. Finding out my brother has a spark tester, we'll see if there is actually spark on the weekend.
my problem actually was the MSD box itself. went around in circles as you know (after reading my posts). Sent it back to MSD and it wound up having4 seperate issues. Put the box back on and she fired right up. Hopefully you find your issue faster then i did.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:17 AM

Alls I know, and like I said before, I'm a bit new to this kinda crap, but key on there is no 12v at the coil. Whether thats the case always or as soon as I hit the ign it changes I don't know. Every attempt I try at starting, she does fire but a few cracks then nothing. It does seem like timing is out. I just haven't had alot of time to really go over it which sucks.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 AM

ricer Driving a Ford

Quote:
Alls I know, and like I said before, I'm a bit new to this kinda crap, but key on there is no 12v at the coil. Whether thats the case always or as soon as I hit the ign it changes I don't know. Every attempt I try at starting, she does fire but a few cracks then nothing. It does seem like timing is out. I just haven't had alot of time to really go over it which sucks.
that is what mine was doing. One attempt at starting and would just crank, waited tried again and couple cylinders would sputter but then nothing. I don't know what box you have if anything but i would imagine its either a bad box or no juice going to the coil. If you are running a 6al box MSD has had issues with them recently and will refurb them for you for free if less then 1 yr old and have a copy of the receipt, if not then it will cost you anywhere from $20-$97 including shipping depending on what they have to replace. Go to thier website and fill out the RMA form and send it in (if it is bad) you will have it back in under 2 weeks.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 AM

I've got a Crane HI-6R box, bought a while ago now, maybe 2 yrs so warranty is questionable. I've got to test a few more things with someone else there and when I have more time. I did get it to fire a while back, held it at 2500 rpm's or so then just like that it died. I'm starting to question the ignition box, but like I said, we'll test it.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM

After checking a few things, turns out the distributor was loose and was walking too far. This would probably explain ALOT. Good call on the timing bieng an issue. Glad that it wasn't the ign box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.