Ignition/Timing questions - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:20 PM

hp246 Driving a Ford
Default Ignition/Timing questions

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but this is my first in depth project and I'm a beginner working with motors. I have the following:
Ford 460 block bored .060 over with H418p pistons. Comp 34-331-4 (280 H) came with Comp Magnum roller tip rockers. Using Edelbrock performer heads, Edelbrock performer RPM intake, Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb. Using a C-6 with a 2000 stall converter.

1. I'm confused about timing. The timing marks on the damper are not consistent with the marks shown in the Chiltons manual. The timing marks are 0-60. I need to run at least at 32 to keep it running. What would be proper starting point for timing setting with this damper?

2. I have a MSD stand alone distributor with Blaster II coil. I also have a spring kit for the distributor. Is the stock spring in this distributor the best, or should I start out with one of the other spring sets? I believe they are color coded.

3. Any estimates at the HP I should see if properly tuned?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 AM

tonyj202b Driving a Ford

Are you using a stock damper or aftermarket?Some dampers are marked for the 10 o-clock position and some 11 o-clock. I always spring my dist. so that they have full advance by 3000rpm.This allows you to start the engine at a lower timing but is usually at full advance by the midway of low gear.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:28 PM

hp246 Driving a Ford

Tony,
The machine shop assembled the motor. The part number listed is 80008 Harmonic Balancer. I believe it is a Professional Products Balancer.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 PM

tonyj202b Driving a Ford

Is your pointer at 10 o-clock? I am goimg to assume it is because their web site states that in the 1/4 key way on a stock crank tdc should be at 10 O.With that being said are you having problems keeping it idleing,won't rev up or what exactly?Could be carb adjustment not timing issue.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 PM

hp246 Driving a Ford

Tony,
What I'm trying to do is set a basic timing so I can start tuning from there. The pointer is set in the block. The damper shows a 0-60 marking on it. Everything I've read says timeing should be set from 10-14 degrees btdc. I currently have the timing set a 36 using the markings on the damper. If' I.m reading the marking correctly on the damper, that would correspond to 1 to 60 btdc. Is that correct? If I tried moving the timing to 14 degrees per the markings on the damper, then the engine would not run. So, I am thinking that the markings on the damper are actually for the crank, and that tiing number should be something different than the spec in the manual for ignition timing.

I've seen references to crank timing and ignition timing, but never seen a spec for crank timing.

Sorry, really kinda confused here.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 PM

falcon8r Driving a Ford

If you can index the timing mark and use a timing light with an advance function, you are good. Remove the #1 plug and find tdc. Average the reading where the piston just starts to move down in both directions. The middle of these should be TDC on your balancer where your pointer is. If that is good, a timing light with adjustment will run off the tdc mark on the balancer and you could dial in 36deg total or such. With the light springs in the Msd this should be close. The msd springs installed stock are stiff and allow full adv. very high in the rpm. Tres...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 PM

hp246 Driving a Ford

This is what I'm looking at:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1249006526
Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 PM

tonyj202b Driving a Ford

As Falcon8r said i would remove the #1 plug insert a screw driver and bring the piston up to tdc and see where the balancer is at and then go from there.The marks on the balancer is ignition timing.Only crank timing that is timing crank with cam via timing chain and gears.Its possible your balancer just is not right with your pointer.As said bring it to tdc and see where your pointer is at (example its pointing at 14) then you know 14 is actually 0 and 26 would then be 12 and so on.Or you could put a timing tape on it.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 PM

hp246 Driving a Ford

Thanks guys, that makes sense.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:07 PM

hp246 Driving a Ford

Falcon,
From reading your post, you are saying to swap out the MSD springs to the lightest weight set?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:32 AM

falcon8r Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp246 View Post
Falcon,
From reading your post, you are saying to swap out the MSD springs to the lightest weight set?
Yes . You will get all the timing in at maybe 3000 rpm intstad of 5500 rpm. So if the engine is running at 3500 rpm, the timing would not go up if you raised the rpm from there. You will find that the msd paperwork that was with the dizzy states this. This may allow a lower initial setting which may help with starting sometime. Tres...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.