Casting Number Help - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:52 PM
jets4343 jets4343 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christiansburg, Virginia
Posts: 7
jets4343 First On Race Day
Default Casting Number Help

Hello all! From the casting on the heads I see that my block is a 73,(D3VE-A2A) I can get to all but the last digit on the block casting, I think there is only one left. What I can see is, D1VE-8015-A2_. Can anyone give me some info from the block casting number? Thanks for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-29-2009, 02:49 PM
cobra3073 cobra3073 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 165
cobra3073 Driving a Ford
Default

I believe the D3VE-A2A is actually the number off the cylinder head and would be valid for a 72-74 429/460. Based on the information you provided, I believe the block number is probably D1VE-A2B.

This particular block is referred to by some as being in the "early" family of the 429/460 motors. Like the C8VE and C9VE blocks, it has thin rails and is internally balanced. Some D0VE blocks have the thicker rails. C8 and C9 blocks started life in 1968 and 1969, respectively. D0 block started in 1970. The suffix numbers/characters are simply modified versions of the original casting and should not be of any real concern for performance expectations.

Like all the 429/460 blocks, the D1VE is a a good start for a performance build. As the second character (digit) indicates, it started life in 1971. The suffix again is usually only related to certain engineering modifications.

BT
__________________
Do the right thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Paul Kane's Avatar
Paul Kane Paul Kane is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 5,192
Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!Paul Kane A Ford God!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra3073 View Post
I believe the D3VE-A2A is actually the number off the cylinder head and would be valid for a 72-74 429/460. Based on the information you provided, I believe the block number is probably D1VE-A2B.

This particular block is referred to by some as being in the "early" family of the 429/460 motors. Like the C8VE and C9VE blocks, it has thin rails and is internally balanced. Some D0VE blocks have the thicker rails. C8 and C9 blocks started life in 1968 and 1969, respectively. D0 block started in 1970. The suffix numbers/characters are simply modified versions of the original casting and should not be of any real concern for performance expectations.

Like all the 429/460 blocks, the D1VE is a a good start for a performance build. As the second character (digit) indicates, it started life in 1971. The suffix again is usually only related to certain engineering modifications.

BT
Please allow me to make some humble corrections to the above post:

The D3VE-A2A cylinder heads were used from 1973-1985. Your block is probably D1VE-6015-A2B. The D1VE blocks were utilized from 1971-1978. Your particular D1VE block has thick pan rails and standard (non-D0VE-style) main webbing.

Based on the engine/block combo and assuming they are the original combo from the factory, your engine is the basic platform as produced over a 5-year span between 1973-1978.

If you must know the exact dates of manufacture of your engine components, then you need to look at the alphanumeric casting dates and not the engineering revisions to which you are referring. That being said, indeed the engineering revisions are more telling than the casting dates.

Paul

p.s.: D0VE blocks have thin pan rails and thick main webbing.
__________________
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family

Last edited by Paul Kane; 12-29-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-29-2009, 06:26 PM
cobra3073 cobra3073 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 165
cobra3073 Driving a Ford
Default

OUTSTANDING clarifications Paul.

As usual, you are "on the mark" and keeping us straight.

BT
__________________
Do the right thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 PM
jets4343 jets4343 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christiansburg, Virginia
Posts: 7
jets4343 First On Race Day
Default

Thanks guys!! Yes I should have said the D3VE-A2A casting was on the heads. Sorry! I haven't pulled the engine yet, I'm waiting to order a rebuild kit. Any good advice on a kit? The casting numbers on the block are behind the starter, as you all know, so I put a strip of paper over the casting and rubbed my dirty finger over all that I could reach. Thus the 8 vs the 6 and I couldn't reach the last digit. Here is a site of my first 460 build. http://www.customclassictrucks.com/f...100/index.html

I'm having a hard time finding a clean V belt set up for this build. Plenty of serpentine systems. Any help there guys? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 PM
ed.harris ed.harris is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
ed.harris First On Race Day
Default West Oz

Hello Guys,
My first post so please go easy on me.
I am from Western Austaralia so these engines are quite exotic over here with only some F100`s released over here with the 460 fitted to them.
I am currently having a 545 stroker being built by a Performance shop over here.
The block was imported second hand to the land of OZ and has casting numbers D1VE-6015-A2B. I know this was a 460 originally, but if it was a 429 of the same year, would it have the same Casting number?
I am going to fit the engine to an XA fairmont coupe 100% street car which originally had a 351 Clevo fitted.
The licencing department requirements are less restrictive if you only increase the capacity by about 20%.
If the 429 are the same casting number and just machined differently to take the 429 Crank, are there any other ways to tell the difference between a 429 block from a 460 block externally?
I am not going to tell them the engine capacity has been increased at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
ed.harris ed.harris is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
ed.harris First On Race Day
Default West OZ

Sorry Guys
I did not mean to Hijack Post.
I have recieved information from a private message.
Please do not reply to questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 AM
xygtford xygtford is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1
xygtford First On Race Day
Cool 460 Rebuild

G'day guys I need some advice on my rebuild. Block casting number is D1VE-A2B but the cylinder heads are different to what everyone is saying because there is no casting after the D leaving a space then continuing VE-A2A. It seems all pretty standard for a polution motor with a bore size of 4.68cm. I dont want to go stupid with the build but not sure what will fit and won't from some of the parts I already have;

Edelbrock Victor high rise single plain manifold
750 Double pumper Holley 4150 series
Sealed Power Hypereutectic Pistons with Moly rings 30thou
Full Felpro gasket set

Can someone suggest a mild cam that doesn't need a Hi-Stall but bigger than the RV
Decent set of cam, main and big end bearings
High Volume oil pump
Double row timimg gear.

Hope I haven't bored you all but look forward to your advice and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 AM
mp40's Avatar
mp40 mp40 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 928
mp40 Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.harris View Post
Hello Guys,
My first post so please go easy on me.
I am from Western Austaralia so these engines are quite exotic over here with only some F100`s released over here with the 460 fitted to them.
I am currently having a 545 stroker being built by a Performance shop over here.
The block was imported second hand to the land of OZ and has casting numbers D1VE-6015-A2B. I know this was a 460 originally, but if it was a 429 of the same year, would it have the same Casting number?
I am going to fit the engine to an XA fairmont coupe 100% street car which originally had a 351 Clevo fitted.
The licensing department requirements are less restrictive if you only increase the capacity by about 20%.
If the 429 are the same casting number and just machined differently to take the 429 Crank, are there any other ways to tell the difference between a 429 block from a 460 block externally?
I am not going to tell them the engine capacity has been increased at all.
Yep. the casting number would be the same between the 429 and the 460.
Shame about the licensing department being a damper on your fun.

The blocks are identically machined 429/460. No worries there.

The 429 and the 460 look the same with few exceptions.

You're good to go.
__________________
1967 Mustang coupe, Mustang II front suspension. W/RV camed, D3VE headed, 460/C6 (soon to be 557 CID w/ported police interceptor heads) out of the box BBC headers(with homemade steel adapters)

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-20-2014, 10:18 AM
mp40's Avatar
mp40 mp40 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 928
mp40 Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xygtford View Post
G'day guys I need some advice on my rebuild. Block casting number is D1VE-A2B but the cylinder heads are different to what everyone is saying because there is no casting after the D leaving a space then continuing VE-A2A. It seems all pretty standard for a polution motor with a bore size of 4.68cm. I dont want to go stupid with the build but not sure what will fit and won't from some of the parts I already have;

Edelbrock Victor high rise single plain manifold
750 Double pumper Holley 4150 series
Sealed Power Hypereutectic Pistons with Moly rings 30thou
Full Felpro gasket set

Can someone suggest a mild cam that doesn't need a Hi-Stall but bigger than the RV
Decent set of cam, main and big end bearings
High Volume oil pump
Double row timing gear.

Hope I haven't bored you all but look forward to your advice and suggestions.
Welcome to the forums!

I think that your combo sounds good to me.

However, what is your intended use? Street? Strip? Your goals quarter mile wise? Do you want a car that idles roughly? A tough as sound or?

Is the lack of low end torque (necessitating low gears) OK? Or, is low end torque necessary so you don't have to use as low of gear.
__________________
1967 Mustang coupe, Mustang II front suspension. W/RV camed, D3VE headed, 460/C6 (soon to be 557 CID w/ported police interceptor heads) out of the box BBC headers(with homemade steel adapters)

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.