460 Ford Forum banner

help jet boat people

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  CP598 
#1 ·
just bought a 73 sanger jet boat. can you still get manuals for these things.has berkeley jet and id like to understand how it works plus there are some electrical issues. thanks

#3 ·
im new to this so anything i can learn will help. its a 73 sanger jet boat,olds 455 with berkeley jet, not sure what model jet. what is a droop or place diverter? kind of a wiring nightmare.it has trim tabs and on the port side in the engine compartment it has 4 silonoids i assume are for the trim tabs. there marked strb up and down and port up and down with a fluid resevoir next to them. anyhow motor does not run so can it be replaced w/ a 460, and if so then how. also i dont get how the jet works for forward and reverse.i mean i see that theres a cup that forces the water backwards to go in reverse but how do you ingage it, i only have a throttle cable,hand operated, i see the cable for steering and for the throttle but the cable for the cup over the jet runs forward and i dont see it come out anywere up front. i had a bayliner years ago and the fwd and rev were part of the throttle, is this along the same lines. also all the electrical connections for the motor mount on a plate on the bell housing and run to the starter silonoid and distributor and coil and then off to the front. ill post some pics tomorrow so you can see what im talking about. its a cool boat and iv always wanted one this one cost me a grand but im sure itll cost alot more when im done. anyhow thanks for any help you can give me.

later
mark

#4 ·
I have a friend who had a Sanger just like that one. His had a 455 Olds engine which always ran outstanding and wasn't too terrible about fuel. He bought the boat for about $1000, took it apart, painted it, re did the interior and ran it for a long time with no trouble. I think the Olds would run to about 4400rpm or so and one winter he rebuilt the engine with a cam etc. It ran exactly the same! He used that boat for about 4 or 5 years and then sold it for a lot more than he paid for it which is a rare opportunity.

#5 ·
i havnt had it running but from what i understand is the motor is in need of a rebuild. thats why i was asking about a 460 swap, iv got a couple of those around. it looks like it has a rail for motor mount that runs the full length of the boat. it funny how boats of this age are still so popular. kind of like muscle cars

#6 · (Edited)
V-drive guy here!!

You need to look over on this site.. http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/

Scrool down and check out the JET-BOAT section.

Look in the parts spam.. All kinds of Jet boat parts for a 460

Things you'll need.

Jet boat pan, with pick up tube (460)
Engine mounts for a 460, (front and rear)
Headers.
marine timing cover. Or block off plate.

Seems like a lot of guy's will switch for a Ford to a Chevy and want to sell everything, or vise-versa'. Bam there you go all the parts in one deal.

Dang look at what i just found!!!!!!

Nice plates with alt. Bracket, made by Glennwood, They are a little dirty but will clean up nice, also included 4 Feet & the 4 metal stringer reinforcement plates that sandwhich the stringers, I think these are factory made so that bolts don't get sucked into stringers & add some additional support. PM or E-mail at arc_inc2001@yahoo.com, or call 602-369-0441, $150.00 plus shipping I do take Pay pal

That should do it

#7 ·
Or you could just give me a call and I can help you with anything you may need !

#9 ·
thanks guys. blown thats an awsome site, lots of info. im sure ill be on there alot.jim ill be giving you a call.i was on your site and under electical you have terminal blocks. is there a wiring diagram for the olds 455? right now its the wiring that has me stumped.anyhow thanks guys. like i said its all new to me so any info is a big help

thanks
mark

#12 ·
Give me a call and I will help you out.

Adam, PM sent !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.