460 Ford Forum banner

Removing Bypass Tube Questions

12K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jgp137 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm sick of looking at the bypass tube that runs from the intake to water pump. Plus, i have been reading the engine would run cooler by plugging the tube and running a thermo bypass (Robert Shaw). I.e. more coolant would run through radiator vs. bypassing into the big @$##$ bypass tube...

As a small project, I was planning to tap and plug the manifold and pump, and install a new thermostat with bypass holes.

I have an Edelbrock RPM intake and a Ford Racing high flow mech pump.

Question 1

Due to the limited space, I plan to remove the pump to tap and plug. With the pump out of the way I was going to tap and plug manifold without removing? Anybody go against that plan (not removing intake)?

Question 2

I believe the bypass tube in the Edelbrock intake was just pushed in. Will that come out pretty easily? Any tricks? Heat? Clamp and wiggle? Or would I need to cut off and drill out then tap?

Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
pull or unscrew the tube, and thread the hole, and put a pipe plug in it, same for water pump

#4 ·
Just remember that the bypass hose does serve a purpose in the cooling system. First off it helps to all the pump to circulate water around inside of the engine while the thermostat is closed to make warmups faster and more even. It also keeps the pump from building excessively high block pressure if you rev the engine with the thermostat closed. How high can the pressure go? High enough to push out a core plug and dump water and that's a fact.

#6 ·
We have pluged them all,with a stat, AND without, some have 12,and 16 pound caps. NEVER A PROBLEM

#9 ·
Right,haven't in a long time, but have done it

#10 ·
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145510&page=8

Check post 114 to see whsat I do with 385 series bypasses.

I reduced the hose to 3/8 U bend. Reduces flow allowing more water to go through the rad and ease of intake removal. Also install restricters in heater hose to aid cooling.
Been doing this for years on most all my engines and ones built for others of various brands no issues

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.