460 Ford Forum banner

460 boat motor

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  floorman 
#1 ·
I found a 460 that was rebuilt by mercruiser, it has been in shrink wrap for a while. I don't know much about it yet. Other than it has been in dry storage at a marina. They are trying to get rid of it as they have had it for a while. Before I go look at it is there anything other than is it standard rotation I should look for? I have 3 kids in college so the torino is a budget build at this point. I know i will have to change the cam, heads I'm not sure but I have a set of d9ve that can be worked and put on it, the oil pan and pickup have to be changed.
Anything else you guys can think of will be appreciated.

Oh ya the price is rite it is a complete long block asking price is $1200. I figure this will do till I have the coin to build a stroker out of my 429. I really wanna drive the old girl this year, but I don't want to waste money on something that looks like a great deal, but really isn't . Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Ditto on a spec / build sheet.

It might have forged flat tops and large chamber heads netting mid to high nines for static c/r.

IMO it is definitely worth a looky...

S

#4 ·
True 460 Marine engines came with a Cobrajet (CJ) intake, CJ oil pan, 216/220@050 camshaft, D6VE truck rods, fully-grooved main bearings, and an alternate valve spring set. Depending on the actual year of production, it may or may not have forged flat top pistons (usually the late '80's and up in the King Cobra 460 Marine engines). All of this becomes more questionable since the engine is now remanufactured.

It is very unlikely that the engine is reverse rotation...but it is possible. If it is a reverse rotation engine, then it will have a gear drive that turns the camshaft clockwise while the crankshaft spins counter-clockwise. In order to convert such an engine to clockwise rotation you need only a timing chain and camshaft (and of course new lifters, etc). If the engine is standard rotation then you don't have to change anything, not the cam, not the heads, nothing. However, it may be internal or external balance and it may have either dished or flat top pistons, and you need to determine these things before installation and certainly before a C9VE head swap which would put compression aroun 11:1 if the engine had flat tops.

Given the amount of time it has been sitting, I would recommend negotiating under the premise that it will be necessary to at least partially (if not fully) disassemble the engine for inspection, cleaning, and reassembly. I have seen rebuilt engines that were stored for a long time and had corroded cylinder bores, and even be frozen solid because they were assmembled with white grease that solidified over time.

Paul

#5 ·
Ok I spoke to the marina owner today originally I was under the impression he ordered it for someone and he was stuck with it. The owner told me he bought out the remaining stock for an other marina that went belly up. He is unsure of the info on the 460 because he doesn't want to open the shrink wrap. He does know it is standard rotation has harmonic balancer and flywheel. He also said if we come to a deal and I want to open the seal he will give me copies of the service Manuel for the motor, which has the compression and anything else I need to know.
My next set of questions are, is the flywheel the same as an automotive flywheel and is there anything I should be Leary of? Guys thanks so much for your help. If this deal goes thru I should be able to drive the old girl this summer. I currently have three kids in college so that's where my money goes. I have some extras coin lately because work is flat out, I've been leaving at 5 am and getting home between 9 and 11, 6 days a week. Thanks again.

#6 · (Edited)
He is unsure of the info on the 460 because he doesn't want to open the shrink wrap. He does know it is standard rotation has harmonic balancer and flywheel. He also said if we come to a deal and I want to open the seal he will give me copies of the service Manuel for the motor, which has the compression and anything else I need to know.
My next set of questions are, is the flywheel the same as an automotive flywheel and is there anything I should be Leary of? Guys thanks so much for your help. If this deal goes thru I should be able to drive the old girl this summer. I currently have three kids in college so that's where my money goes. I have some extras coin lately because work is flat out, I've been leaving at 5 am and getting home between 9 and 11, 6 days a week. Thanks again.
Marine flywheels can be different than automotive flywheels since the marine flywheel need not be surfaced for a clutch disc, for example. Sometimes flex plates are referred to as flywheels, so have a look yourself before you decide which it is. Also, one should be interchangable with the other.

Is the seller offering a warranty? Also, what about if you take it apart for inspection prior to attempting to start it, is the warranty void? If either (or both) of those are not agreeable with the seller, then walk.....or offer only the core value since you don't know what you're buying other than a collection of new parts but not necessarily a garanteed-to-run engine.

Paul

#8 ·
I finally had time yesterday to stop and talk to the marina owner. I expressed my concerns about how it could be rusted inside the shrink wrap. We negotiated a bit and settled on $800. I brought it home. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Upon opening the shrink wrap I found zero rust any where, the lifter valley is clean, nothing. I took the valve cover off clean also.
Anyways the block code is D9TEAB
Crank D9TE635-AA
Omc model 754APFTC
Serial number 70922475
Heads 6G3O or possibly D but looks more like an O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.