460 Ford Forum banner

Classic Gear Jammers

7K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  steves4570 
#1 ·
The Classic Gear Jammers , all "stick shift" drag car, will be at Jefferson dragstrip in Jefferson , South Carolina today , sept 18 2010.
Gates open at 4pm.
Come out to see the way drag racing suppose to be . Muscle cars,stick shift, no computers, run on a dial in ladder.

Wind it up , let the clutch fly ,then jam the next gear.

#4 · (Edited)
Had to miss this race, my junk has a broke trans. My buddy made it down three cars. It is good to say that they all are my buddy's. And your right about pulling gears, it is the best way to race. Steve
Steve do you race a t-bird? If so i saw you run at union county. I was talking to David with the 347 mustang.
David did good , he made an adjustment on the 3-4 shift and it helped put.
I asked about you and he told me about the carnige.

Youll get back out there soon...........

Yea friendly bunch of guys. brought my buddy that has a stick street chevyll and a tubbed nova with a 598/glide. we talked with the guy with the white/gold chevyll and its got my buddy really thinking about adding the saftey stuff to his streetcar and racing with yall.
I'm not to far away, but it will probably be next year.

Anyway good luck...........ron

#3 ·
stick shifting

I wish they had a race like that out here. I run a toploader and wouldn't do it any other way. I love shifting, the car idles better with a manual, I can change my own clutch at a reasonable price, and I can down shift to slow down too. I just love rowing a shifter!!

#14 ·
I wish they had a race like that out here. I run a toploader and wouldn't do it any other way. I love shifting, the car idles better with a manual, I can change my own clutch at a reasonable price, and I can down shift to slow down too. I just love rowing a shifter!!
I know it`s not real close, but Woodburn Dragstrip in Woodburn Oregon is holding 4 "super shifter" class races for 2011. I run with the BC SuperShifters up here in BC Canada, but if my work & racing schedules allows, I`d like to make at least one of the Woodburn races this year.

#5 ·
classic gear jammers

Yes that was my T-bird. I maid two rounds, put the #2 man in points out in the first round. That was really good because of all the smack talk from him over the winter. And in the second round I put my buddy David out. Cut a bad light and went out in the third round, but ran 6.25 on a 6.26. It ran 111mph on all the runs but the two I had to dump out of. Well I took the plunge and ordered a Liberty Equalizer, spoke with Tenon today and should be shipped this Friday or Monday. My old Jerico needs a case, main shaft, ALL gears. It had nine runs on it sense the last rebuild. Steve

#8 ·
classic gear jammers

Well what a great day for me. Got drive shaft in fired it up, went up the gears all 5!!!. Motor did not seam right, blowing smoke out the breathers. Just did not fill right, it is seizing up. Pulled plugs, found nothing,ck for water in pan, nothing. At last run at Farmington when trans blew up on the 3rd gear shift, went to 1st, trans broke and engine saw a lot RPMs. Ran at track to ck for skip, oil psi, running hot ect. Did the same at home, did not think the engine had any problems. Think pistons bumped the heads and jammed the rings. Pull it out and find out what's going on. Wow got to love this racing stuff. Steve

#9 ·
Well what a great day for me. Got drive shaft in fired it up, went up the gears all 5!!!. Motor did not seam right, blowing smoke out the breathers. Just did not fill right, it is seizing up. Pulled plugs, found nothing,ck for water in pan, nothing. At last run at Farmington when trans blew up on the 3rd gear shift, went to 1st, trans broke and engine saw a lot RPMs. Ran at track to ck for skip, oil psi, running hot ect. Did the same at home, did not think the engine had any problems. Think pistons bumped the heads and jammed the rings. Pull it out and find out what's going on. Wow got to love this racing stuff. Steve
Well hopefully it is something that wont take to long to fix , next season is just around the corner( at least thats what it feels like)

#10 ·
hey i been trying to catch up with you! iam doing the same combo as yours but a 466
i need to know with the doug nash i have hemi race one with the chevy input shaft what pilot bearing do i need what and will the the lakewood bell for the fords retainer hole fit the doug nash! let me know!

#11 ·
classic gear jammers

nitrous ford, it may be easier to change the input shaft to a ford or to a 18 spline Chrysler input. The 18 spline is the most common and is stronger than the Ford input. Do you have a clutch yet? As for the bearing retainer it needs to be the ford size for the bell, if it's to big take it off and take it and the bell to a machine shop and turn it down to fit. Or you may need to get a new bearing retainer. If you go with a new input, I think the 6305 pilot bearing is what you need. Give me a PM with your # and I'll give you a call. Steve

#17 ·
FE Roy,bbstickstang, we know that real race cars have three pedals. We have to spread the word about stick cars. Steve.
Thats true Steve I tried to copy and paste the CGJs schedule off of facebook onto the UMTR website in the "other racing " section but it wouldnt let me. I'll try to C&P off the CGJ's website to see if that will work.

its gotten to unless its a stick , SS , or 10.5 race I dont even care to go to the track and watch.

Now if I can get my stuff togather and race with yall this year!

#20 ·
Love this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxdksFQygUs bbstickstang, can you make the race in Greer 6/2/12. hope you can. As far as I know I'll be there. Cars been running good. Steve
I almost cant quite watching the vid!

I am trying to make the race in Greer. Had the car out a couple fridays ago at Padgeland . Breaking in the clutch. 1run all the way through it went 6.36 with a 1.33 60'. It was a hand full, tires had 12 psi for a little slip and I believe it slip the tires all the way. Aborted the other 2 runs because it got crossed up. Did go 1.31 and 1.35 in 60'. Leaving at 4200 on the 3 step. Its already been faster than the FE on a 150 shot. So we have to work the handling out.

Moved the bars down to the bottom hole , tightened up the front shocks, aired the tires down to 8psi and limited the throttle for now, but we havent been able to test it anymore, work,family and weather have been stopping us.

I may just come to Greer and use it as a test session.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.