460 Ford Forum banner

514 Ford crate motor Help Jon or anybody

22K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  rat poison 
#1 ·
I have a 514 ford crate motor with the super cobra jet heads.I talked to a ford rep. and he said that if I want to improve my 60' times to advance the cam from 4 degrees retarded to straight up.Since I did this the car got really lazy out of the hole and has slowed down m.p.h. I also noticed that it fouls plugs when it first starts up when cold.I bought this motor from ford about 5 years ago and it doesn't have more than 600 miles on it.I'm wondering if it could have lost compression by advancing the cam like that.Jon I read your article the secret behind fords new super jet heads when I bought this motor and I was wondering if you could give me the cam part no. that you used when you swapped out the ford cam.And any advice you could share about tuning this thing.

#6 ·
The article said that he got 640 hp with the old cobra jet heads on a stock 514 and that he got 700 hp with the new super cobra jet heads.He said that Ford under rated the motors out put.Then he changed cams and put in 2.25 intake valves and got I think 785 hp.Something like that anyway.I wish the article was still there.Before I bought the motor I called Jon's shop and asked someone there what I should get out of that motor and they said I should get 700 hp if it's tuned right.Of course I'm not Jon so I don't think I'll match his numbers.But any tips would be appreciated.

#7 ·
ok here's the numbers i found the articles
The original tests took a 514 crrate with original CJ heads. Power was 615 HP and 626 ftlb. The teste tried the 4 compcams street rollers. Max power was with 1295 carb and XR292R = 665 HP and 668 ftlb

The next lot of tests were to try to make 700 HP. Baseline showed 615 HP and 622 ftlb. The results with the cam upgraded to XR292R and SCJ heaads went to 702 HP and 725ftlb

Original crate motor cam is Crane roller 254/258@.050 and 640 lift

Comp roller = 254/260@.050 671/678 lift

#9 ·
Thanks guys that helped clear things up and I'd love to put the boss 9s on!It would really look cool to pop the hood on a 70 mach1 and see a boss9 there!Let alone the performance gains to go with it.I just can't afford them yet.

#11 ·
I have a copy of an article that used to be on Jon’s website titled “The Secret Behind: "Ford's New Super Cobra Jet!".” They switched out the cam to a crane, here is a small piece of the article

“First we thought we would try a little more cam. Right out of Crane's book we picked an R-268/420-2-10 P/N 358821 cam. It measures 268 degrees intake, 278 degrees exhaust, @.050", .718 lift, 110 degree lobe center. This cam change resulted in an increase of 55-60 HP. We were now at 755HP.”

Is this the article that you guys your referring to or was there another one out there?

#15 ·
I have the same 521 crate engine, and also read the Kasse article. I switched the Ford cam for the above mentioned Crane roller. I have not dynoed this engine but will this spring. I have used the scj springs, but with +.50 retainers, they only last one season, my builder changed then for a comp spring (don't know what one) been in one season and look good to go one more. This engine is in a 3000# 98 mustang, best so far is 9.22@148. On pump gas.

#18 ·
No real porting, my builder just did a little bowl blending and a valve angle change, apparently the scj heads that come on these engines just have a "truck" valve job. The track we run at is at sea level, and we see some real good air. Also the Pro Systems carb works really well

#20 ·
Hey Dean, always been a big block guy, the windsor thing was cheap filler whil the chassis for this car was being done(took years!). This one will get dynoed with Gord Merkley. It's at Dave Childs now, then Ken Orser will assemble it and we'll see what it's got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.