460 Ford Forum banner

514 with SCJ heads timing ?

10K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  StephenW 
#1 ·
We ve been racing for a couple of weeks now and never got the engine dynoed. The guy that has done motors for my dads race cars suggested setting the timing at 38. Then from reading some of the articles on here I see some have theres set from 28 to 32. I know we tried 32 and from watching the video it just didn't seem to pull the r's up where we were when set at 38. Is it just a playing around the best way to figure it out and if so where do we start. some engine specs
comp cam 270@.50 696 lift
flat top srp pistons
sv1 carb
super cobra jet heads ported
about 13 to 1 comp
vic intake port to match
Any help would be much appreciate and any other info needed just let me know and we only race a 300 ft track and shifting at 6500 rpms

#2 ·
The SCJ headed stuff that has been on the dyno around here, seems to like 29* to 31*. The SCJ heads have a really good spark plug location with good flame travel. I suspect the with 13:1 compression you could get away with another degree or so of timing, verses and 14:1 + race engine.

I would think that a true 36* to 38* might be too much. I have seen situations were people were not accurate enough with finding true TDC and marking their balancer and timing tab,,,,,when building their engine. So, one man's 36* might be another man's 32* for example.

#4 ·
First thing is ... how accurate is the timing mark on that engine? Is it just a piece of sheet metal which can easily read a couple or more degrees off.

Anything more than a true 32 degrees with those heads is costing you power. The engine may accelerate a little harder in low gear when there are a few degrees more timing; especially if the cam is to big.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.