460 Ford Forum banner

cam bearing problem

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  crittersf1 
#1 · (Edited)
I have recently purchased a 557 short block new 2 times now it has ate the cam bearings out in less than 10 min. the oil pressure drops from 60 psi to less than 20 at 2000 rpm when i pull it down the bearings look like they are not getting any oil the cam fits nice in the bearings not to loose or to tight it rotates smoothly.the cam has always had plenty of lube when installed.galley's all look clear i was wondering if i might have a crack in the galley or something. any help would be greatly apreciated thanks RICHARD

#2 · (Edited)
Are you sure the oil supply holes are lined up with the bearing holes? That's pretty critical...... Before you put it all back together try turning the pump with a drill motor and see if they're oiling OK. Are you getting oil up to the rockers? What kind of a cam and lifters are you running? Spring pressures? I've had several engines eat the small stock bearings with high spring pressures. Kasse makes a wide cam bearing that helps.
Rob

#5 ·
x2 make sure the slot in the bearing is centered over the oiling hole in the block. It might be over the hole and you can see light through it but if not centered it want get the oil that it should. Like Rich said what the main and rod look it now.

Jim

#4 ·
does it eat the same cam bearing? what do the mains look like now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.