460 Ford Forum banner

blown boss carb size and dui

10K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Paul Kane 
#1 ·
good evening,
I currently have Don Hampton building my 8-71 blower for what will be a 521 blown boss motor in the next 6 months or so. I will be running a set of your boss 9 heads on a DOVE-A block in a 66' GTA Fairlane. The car will be mostly street driven with a few weekend race track runs. Car will weight about 3800 with me in it. I am running a fully rollerized mighty might 2 C4 in it that has 2.82 gear set and custom 10" torque converter to stall at 3500 on foot brake and 4500 on t-brake. Rear end gear of 4.10 with 33x21.5x15 tires on the back. My question is with these heads being as good as they at breathing do you recommend running something like (2) 850 quick fuel carbs on an application like this? Also is there any type of part # on the DUI you run on your blown boss?

Thank you for your assistance with this.

Don

#4 · (Edited)
Blown Boss9

I have a similar problem. I'm working on a 49 Merc that will have a blown boss 429. My BDS manifold is only 5 1/8" tall, which is too low to get any distributor that I know of under the blower. I don't think even a crab cap would solve my problem. I'm really interested in some info on that offset distributor that you speak of. I am at a dead end! Would appreciate any advise or recommendations from anyone.
Dewey

#8 ·
distributor

Wow this was revived out of no where. I actually e-mailed Swartz racing in regards to their offset ones. He had told me being a street set up with the blower he recommended the 7.2" offset with the MSD “Pro Billet” style head – includes a Hall-effect pick-up and mechanical advance mechanism that can be tuned or locked out. It was roughly $700 for that setup.

Side note on the carbs for the boss setup the answer i received was (2) holley 850 blower carbs.

#10 ·
blown boss

Thanks for all the help and advise. At the Medford car show last weekend, I did see an FE with a 2" spacer on the manifold, but I'm trying to keep this blower as low as possible. Also, I believe the BDS manifold for FE's is taller than the Boss 429. So that 7.2" offset looks like the way to go! Thanks again.

#16 ·
Thanks, but enough with that Rated PG terminology. I prefer the term, "cat's asss," from which I believe your term is derived. :)

Thus far, the mag drives are proven to 242 mph. Currently working on two engines in-house that will each run them, one of which we hope will produce more power yet.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.