460 Ford Forum banner

460 Power Problems

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nickstick44 
#1 ·
I have a 78 Ford with a 460 in it. My dad had it completely rebuilt for towing top to bottom like 15 years ago. He said it ran like a animal for a few hundred miles, then it started to act up and it started bending push rods and hasnt ran like it should since. We've taken it to the local ford dealership years ago a couple times and they couldn't figure it out. It runs perfect and revs up in park or neutral real nice. But as soon as you get to about 2000~2500rpm while your driving, there is just absolutely no power. You could floor it and it would just putt up to speed. I put a new distributer in it thinking the timing isnt advancing but that didnt work. I'm thinking it might be a flat cam or the valve springs are too tight and not opening??? Any help is much appreciated!!! (Sorry so long of a post...)
Thanks, Nick

#4 ·
You wouldn't happen to know of a good mechanic in the Seattle area would ya? Sorry I havent gotten back to ya I've been at school since the summer playin ball.... The head is blown now and smokin like crazy. Figured it's time for someone to really take it apart and see whats ALL wrong with it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.