460 Ford Forum banner

514,using 300 rods excessive end float

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Aussie Heads Man 
#1 ·
G'day,I have secured a 460 drag prep'd block,steel splayed tongue and grooved capped,using original crank offset ground,and they have used Ford 6cyl 300 ci conrods, all have been balanced and heavily shot peened,I have trial assemble the bottom end, to check heights and clearance,the 300 rods assembled have. 040"side play,is this excessive,and should I cover the oiler hole in the top bearing of the rod,and v the parting faces for bore&camshaft oilers,or should be enough oil through the excessive side play,your thoughts would be appreciated, Mark from down under

#2 ·
The side clearance is fine.

You can get bearings without the oiler hole. Off the top of my head I don't recall if it's the earlier model six cyl bearing or later, but one of the two doesn't have the hole.

#5 ·
Thanks buddy,much apreciated,over the years I've rebuilt loads of 300's,alot were for ground fleet at Sydney Airport,most of them had hammered top rod shells,right centre inline with cam and cylinder thrust oiler.I figured with a bit extra side clearance there'll be enough oil flying around.The 514 is going in a mate's 65 Galaxie with a c6,it is a streeter so haven't gone beserk with massive cam or carb/s should be nice,thanks for your time cheers mate..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.