460 Ford Forum banner

460 headers

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  1972Mach1 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 f350 4x4 with the 460 in it. I'm looking to get some more power out of this thing it seems very sluggish. Some people say headers but long or short tube? Timing chain? Timing? Intake? Exhaust? Any help would be great. Thanks

#2 ·
When my 95-F350 was new ,I installed Tri-Y headers and a large single exhaust.Seemed like it lost a little power off idle but got better gas milage at highway speeds.You can advance your timing to 12 degrees with the spout connector out.(don't forget to put it back in).You should remove the noise abatement restrictors in that big hunk of plastic in the middle of the air inlet tubes.Hope this helps

#3 ·
Gibson, Doug Thorley, Hedman, and others all make direct replacements. All are good, Hedman are by far the most affordable. I've got the mid length Hedman set-up on my truck, bolted right up with no issues and came with it's own y-pipe. The longer the primary tubes, the more power, in general. Made a significant difference, and there is definitely other stuff to do to them as well. As mentioned cut out the air horns from the junction box and bump the ignition timing, get an adjustable pressure regulator and set it to 40 psi, get a K&N filter or the like, a 3 inch single or dual 2 1/2 hi flow exhaust, then after that it's over with the easy bolt ons and it's time to port the heads, get a ported intake from Scotty (the Mad Porter), and put a computer friendly cam in it. Your timing chain is already "straight up", as they went back to that when they went to fuel injection. I've got all the easy stuff done to mine, with the pump and cats removed, and my truck runs like a totally different animal than before, and gets 1-2 mpg better than stock.

Lucas

#6 ·
With the headers,K&N air filter and the timing at 12 degrees,I didn't have to do anything to the computer.In 97 I tried a Chip to increase preformance but all it did was make me use premium fuel-removed it after a few months.I think it is still in the top of my toolbox.

#8 ·
Fuel pressure regulator. Your truck has a non-adjustable one from the factory, and most of them hold the pressure back in the 30s. Get an adjustable one and set it at 40 psi, this makes sure that your injectors are getting enough pressure to function as good as they can.

Lucas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.