460 Ford Forum banner

A-heads

11K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  G-Code 
#1 ·
Jon, how well whould our A heads work on a 604? At what point should we look at a different head?

#5 ·
With a 600 inch engine, I would say one can come awful close to those 1,000 horsepower numbers with using Kaase's P-51 heads ... over 1,100 HP with the "A" heads, for sure.

#10 · (Edited)
with CNC'd A460 head )

Does a CNC'd A460 flow greater that 450 ? I guess it comes down to the program but what's the most anyones heard of a A-460 flowing ?

Does the head thread still have flow #'s, what's the max flow for a C head ?

Edit: Didn't the cylnider head pecking order thread have flow #'s in it ????

G-

#16 ·
Kaase lists his C's with a 2.450" intake at 500cfm @ .800 he doesn't list a flow # for his A's.
There was a thread on this site awhile back about a guy who does a killer A head, I should have book marked it.
hummmmmmmm ??????

I was just kind of thinking out loud, a friend called me two weeks ago about some info. He's building an engine for a guy thought he wanted to do a 565. I think I talked him into a 582" with a 6.800" rod. The engine is only going to rev to 7,000 so I told him " I think you have a tweener" I think that engine could use the best A-460 head he can get and it will do best over-all or a 475 cfm maybe 500 cfm C-460 head. Off the top of my head I'd guess a 500 cfm C-460 will have better numbers from 6,000-7,000, but the A-460's would have a better average from 4,500 - 7,000 ( But I might be full of crap too ) The extra airflow on an engine like that might be like putting a T/R on a 502" that rev's to 6,200 and the T/R with two dommies made better numbers everywhere over a single with an 850 carb with a max of 80 hp gain at 6,200.

It's would be fun to have the money to find out. ;)

Rm your comment about "combination" reminds me of the day I dyno'ed the 565. The guy who owned the dyno shop got a funny look on his face after our first power pull to 6,000 and he saw the numbers. He had more of a grin on his face than a smile I said to him " what are you thinking?" He pointed at a picture of a drag car on his wall and said " The two brothers who own that car think they have the baddest BBF in town. It's a 572", has a bigger cam than yours, more compression and a tunnel ram with two 1,150's. When we're done with your engine I know yours is going to out do theirs" He was right.

High air flow is only a portion of the equation to making hp. You can't forget about velocity and chamber efficiency.

I actually have two friends that are starting BBF projects one guy is building his own for a sand car and the other is building one for a customer. I think they'll both be 582's.

G-

Jon
You should give Charlie Evans a call, he's going to do my EX514's.

#14 ·
IF I RECALL CORRECTLY WE MADE 1039HP WITH A 572 A-HEADED MOTOR BACK IN LIKE 1993-94 SOMEWHERE AROUND THERE WITH 1 CARB AND A CAST MANIFOLD ON KAASE'S DYNO. I REMEMBER ON THE FIRST GO AROUND WE HAD SOME BAD LUCK A MALLORY WEIGHT FLEW OFF THE CRANK WHILE DYNOING. WAS PROBABLY THE ONLY PART ON THE MOTOR THAT JON DIDN'T TOUCH. HE REALLY TOOK CARE OF US AND FIXED IT ALL UP.

LOU PROTO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.