460 Ford Forum banner

John, are you building a bbc for this yearaEMC???

12K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  Tom McTernan 
#1 ·
I was reading an article in FSC magazine and it said this is the rumor. Any details???

#3 ·
You better be frigging kidding me! All this succes with ford power why would he dare change to gm crap, like no one else ever builds bbc's?

#4 ·
New rules for EM.
RETURNING “ENGINE MASTER CHAMPION TEAM” BRAND CHANGE
Championship/ 1st Place Team of previous year must change engine brand to
be eligible for competition in the following year’s event.

Since Jon won last year his hands are tied by the rules. Got to let the GM guys win you know. It sells magazines.

#10 ·
Jon Kaase built a GM engine before once or twice, a Pontiac. Keep in mind that GM doesn't just mean Chevrolet. He could therefore build a Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac or Oldsmobile engine. Who knows, he might even do an AMC!

#13 ·
He has to change brands because of EMC rules??? How about a "MERCURY" engine huh? It's not a Ford....I heard that they even had a 460 "type" engine in the MARK III in 1970 (wink wink)....

#15 ·
OK, it's a big Chevy for this year. The thing is, winning 2 or 3 years in a row doesn't help to sell magazines if it's the same engine. It's hard to write articles on an engine more than once. Also the magazines are on a real tight budget, and they probably have to beg just to keep the Enginemasters alive. Did you know that some car magazines have only 2 or 3 people that work there?

I worked on it all weekend, still 3 weeks away from running.... Kaase

#18 ·
OK, it's a big Chevy for this year. The thing is, winning 2 or 3 years in a row doesn't help to sell magazines if it's the same engine. It's hard to write articles on an engine more than once. Also the magazines are on a real tight budget, and they probably have to beg just to keep the Enginemasters alive. Did you know that some car magazines have only 2 or 3 people that work there?

I worked on it all weekend, still 3 weeks away from running.... Kaase
I sure hope your wife made you take a long shower before she let you in the house ;)

Are you going EFI or carbs ?

G-

Jon

#17 ·
Jon needed a Challenge and building a Bow Tie to win against Fords is a challenge! LOL!

#20 ·
He did well with the Pontiac a few years ago. The Chevy boys dont respect them anymore than they do a Ford. Pontiac guys mostly hate Chevies too. Drives most Pontiac guys to fits seeing a Chev motor in a GTO or Firebird.

There is a revised version of the 1969 Pontiac Ram Air 5 tunnel port head available(BES has some involvement in that) and another Pontiac head is available that has canted valves.(and Ford valve covers fit too).

Well too late to change now I guess. It would be nice to see a Ford guy build a Chevy and win it. That will get this new rule changed in a hurry!

Good luck Jon!

#24 ·
engine builders like jon would win with anything he builds,strong work ethic,desire to win,hate to lose,what ever it takes.sounds like nascar took over emc.good luck jon win with the chevy,olds,pontiac,caddy,gmc,whatever else junk gm builds!

#25 ·
EMC

It would be neat to see a Engine Master Challenge on pre 1964 engines, now that the aftermarket has really embraced them and brought out new parts. I'd love to see John build a modernized "Y" block, or "MEL" . It would be interesting to compete with 409 chevys , nail head buicks, early olds and caddy motors, hemis etc, that are now all over the magazines and car shows.

#26 ·
It would be neat to see a Engine Master Challenge on pre 1964 engines, now that the aftermarket has really embraced them and brought out new parts. I'd love to see John build a modernized "Y" block, or "MEL" . It would be interesting to compete with 409 chevys , nail head buicks, early olds and caddy motors, hemis etc, that are now all over the magazines and car shows.
That sure would be interresting however, make no mistake about it ... this contest is about selling magazines and the way the publishers see that it can be accomplished.

#28 ·
I think that the E.M.C. was the best damn idea to come along for us FoMoCo power freaks. It sure proved to the Cheby Boys that Ford did, does & always will kick their ***. But you guys are right, if the Fords just keep on winning the Cheby gang wont buy the magazines. One competitor had a good rep for building fantastic awesome Chevy engines, but when they won with a Ford (on the cheap with alot of O.E.M. parts). Their clients were so pissed that the next time they just had to come back with a "Chevy" that was totally built with after market high buck goodies. It sure is a good feeling to know that an old Y-Block and a small cubed 4.6 (both with o.e.m. heads)could kick so much ***. And that Ford must have been on the ball way back when the Cleveland Head was produced. Being that even today they still are on top of the game. So, to all of us that had to put up with all B.S. that Cheby is the best...well, the E.M.C. just proved otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.